Main Menu

Engine identification help please

Started by carrownisky, Apr 05, 2024, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Told you it was newer than it looks!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Quote from: Alan Drover on Apr 05, 2024, 04:00 PMEngine numbers for the 5mb began with 361 for the 8:1 petrol, then a 5 figure serial number and a suffix letter.

I find it rather strange that the Factory should put identifier numbers on 5mb engines, which are exactly the same as on 1953 2 litre petrol engines - apart from a suffix letter.

Could they not think of another number sequence - or did they think that the differences between the engines were so obvious that no-one would notice or care?  ??? 

autorover1

I wonder if its a replacement block and the old number stamped on it without the suffix. It looks a little irregular.

TimV

Quote from: Exile on Apr 05, 2024, 05:34 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Apr 05, 2024, 04:00 PMEngine numbers for the 5mb began with 361 for the 8:1 petrol, then a 5 figure serial number and a suffix letter.

I find it rather strange that the Factory should put identifier numbers on 5mb engines, which are exactly the same as on 1953 2 litre petrol engines - apart from a suffix letter.

Could they not think of another number sequence - or did they think that the differences between the engines were so obvious that no-one would notice or care?  ??? 
By 1980, 1953 was 17 years previously. Same time away from today as 2007. Quite rare for cars in those days to last that long. 

Old Hywel

Did you struggle with maths in school, Tim?
 :teacher

TimV

I thought it didn't look long enough - 27 years - 1997!

Old Hywel

As a 53 model myself, something didn't look right.

TimV

My first car was a 1954 Minor - that was scrapped at 21 years old!

Len

Landrover len210
Have realy close look again after the last didgit.
Am I imagining a letter very faint as an A possibly ?