News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Twin fuel tanks

Started by Bigdog, Aug 21, 2023, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

I have twin fuel tanks under my front seats, would this have been the normal set up for a petrol engine or would it have been added when it got changed to diesel, series 2a 109 ex military, thanks

Bigdog

Only wondering as I am going back to a 2 1/4 petrol engine and was wondering if they are maybe the original fuel tanks

Birdsnest55

Normal for Military Petrol.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Bigdog

Perfect, wasn't sure if they were added when they fitted the diesel engine

autorover1

Do you still have all the fuel changeover valve & switch gear for the gauges that accompanies the twin tanks?

Bigdog

Dormy

Are both tanks still connected (i.e. have you used them both and switched over) ?

The thing about the changeover tap was the cork gasket which sealed the unit could let air into the system. Not a problem on a petrol which would simply vent at the carb, but often a problem for diesel conversions which might stop running!

Also if yours currently has a diesel engine, where does the fuel return go (which diesels need) ? This might want removing and blanking off at the tank.

You might need to look carefully at where the fuel lines currently run (even the change-over tap to see if it been by-passed ?).
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

w3526602

Normal for Military Petrol.

Hi,

Does that mean it had the extra support bracket (for the second tank) fitted o the production line? Similarly, the seat box without an under-seat tool box? And two lifting lids two access both under-seat filler caps, so no need for filler(s) in the wings. Do you have two fuel gauges, or is that facilitated by switching the gauge from one tank to the other?

OK, I'm asking 'cos I don't know. But if ever I do fit another new chassis rebuild, I'd consider fitting a military chassis if it comes with extra tank support brackets ... to carry the extra traction batteries, low down and in the middle of the wheelbase. I've already decided on what "traction" motor to fit ... or should that be two traction motors ... one for each axle? At £5,000 each, perhaps it would be best to plan/build for two motors, but only fit one to start with?

Hmm! I'm currently working on the drawing board, to convert my pathetic, 8ft x 19ft (inside), brick built garage into a WAB (Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom) ASAD (All singing, all dancing), "5 or more" piece bathroom.  Er, make that at least 6-piece ... I'd forgotten the Zip-wire from the bedroom. SWMBO has already OK'd the expenditure. But first I must refresh my memory of DISABILITY FACILITY GRANTS MEANS TESTING requirements.

Luckily, we (and you) have access to a PRO BONO legal advisor, about such DISABILITY matters.

My understanding is that Disability Facility Grants for less than £1,000 are NOT Means Tested ... and you can keep coming back for more.

PS, Yesterday's adventure was Wilkie chasing a rat ... under Barbara's bed.  :confused

Bigdog

I haven't tried it yet also I am changing back to a 2 1/4 petrol

DogDave

Word of warning- if it hasn't changed over on a while the cork gasket can dry out and then when you do use the changeover tap it crumbles and bits of cork jam it up stopping the engine.

Learned the hard way- new gaskets are only a few quid so worth doing when you swap it back to petrol

Bigdog

Perfect, I will look out for that 👍

w3526602

Hi,

My understanding/assumption is that the second pick-up pipe on fuel tanks was to facilitate "spill-back" from the diesel injection pump.??? I noticed on one of my Landies, that there was no pick-up pipe below the union, which fitted with that assumption .. just let the spill fall into tank.

I crossed my mind that if a second, but shorter, pick-up pipe was fitted, running on the shorter pipe would give you a sort of RESERVE. Of course, you would need a spanner to change to the second, longer, connection ... and change back after refilling the tank. Probably academic, right up to the day you run out of fuel.

As I always refill when the needle reads "1/4 FULL", and then always "brim" the tank, I didn't proceed with that idea.

I,ve also pondered about fitting a syphon hose to the second connection, to drain the tank in a more clinical manner. Ditto the above.

Also ditto the idea of asking the tank builders to include a captive nut on the top of the tank, so that a seat belt "eye" could be screwed in. enabling the tank to be lifted out while still full.

Perhaps I should resume taking the tablets?

w3526602

PS.

Many yonks ago, I mis-fuelled my LWB diesel S2, which had under-seat fill. RECOVERY got me to a garage, who charged me £50 for the mechanic to stand around chatting to his mates, while the small bore hose syphoned fuel out of the tank.
I would have been better phoning for a taxi to take me into town, to purchase a syphon hose and four Jerry cans. Would a taxi driver have been willing to carry
a gallon can of diesel? I already had an empty can in the Landy,  At least I'd have been mobile about two hours sooner, and had four Jerry cans, to nail onto my Landy's corners, to show for my troubles.

I met a bloke in a MASH 6x6 US Army truck, on the jetty at Newhaven harbour. I asked if he could stop blowing his obnoxious exhaust fumes in our direction. He replied that he had to run the engine while it cooled down. He said it would run on petrol OR diesel, or a combination of virtually anything that was liquid and flamable ... usually "free" mis-fuel from private cars. In 9 months ownership he had not had to buy fuel.