News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Door tops...again

Started by haveyoubooked, Apr 19, 2024, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyoubooked

Afternoon all,

Sorry to raise an oft raised topic, but i'm struggling to acquire my chosen door tops - Rocky Mountains...

Anything else worth looking at out there? This is going to be a daily driver/work vehicle in the Highlands, so quality, ease of sliding, lack of waffiness etc are more important than price.

I've been in contact with Jeremy at Rocky Mountain in Canada, but think he's currently a bit bogged down with lots of orders so dont have any update after a couple of months trying on when they'd be some available.

Thanks,
Rory

Alan Drover

What about the early 90/110 door tops with double sliding glass?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Apr 19, 2024, 04:11 PMWhat about the early 90/110 door tops with double sliding glass?

And it just so happens that I have a brand new pair which I found in the stuff recently acquired. PM me if they are of interest.

And I do know what they are worth!  :))  :))
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

582LTR

And if these aren't suitable for your needs, I have just bought some from PaintMan Panels and they were of a good quality.

Regards

James

haveyoubooked

Thanks everyone there. PM sent, so we might have a very quick solution!

Will also checkout paintman panels as a reference for fit and quality

Dopey

RM are great though, made from aluminium

haveyoubooked

Quote from: Dopey on Apr 20, 2024, 02:42 AMRM are great though, made from aluminium

They do look great and were my first choice, I just can't actually get any... Doing some research on the spec of the early 90/110 defender oem tops some of those were ally too, so maybe the ones Mark has will be ally as well. We'll see over the next few days.

diffwhine

All the early 110 door tops were all alloy and they were supplied under MTC8840 and MTC8841. These were supplied as painted units in Limestone and had the rotary lock knob. This superseded to what we know as the "Wolf" XD Defender military door tops under part numbers MWC4746 and MWC4747. These had the lever lock for the window and were supplied in black primer. All were fully alluminium and don't rust. The only weak point is that the felt in the runners breaks down causing the glass to rattle, but replacing the felt on a regular basis is cheap and easy.

I sold a pair on eBay recently which I had had tucked away since the late 1980s with a plan to fit to a Land Rover at some point. I never got round to it, so sold them recently on eBay. I then found another pair in this parts stock I recently purchased.  :thud

Like buses - don't see any for ages then they all come at once! To get the original painted early One Ten ones as new old stock, is extremely rare, and if you look at the prices for the later ones from the usual suppliers, you can see that they ain't cheap...

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

John

Yes the ex MOD type are great but I'm shocked to see the prices that they go for now having got mine at a boot sale for £12 the pair :gold-cup ,
the saller having got them, he said, from a sale at RAF Valley

Used to be "oilstain" on old forum