News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is the Best Jack?

Started by Archie, Feb 06, 2024, 09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Absolutely agree ^^^

Also, easier to get the jack pad up under the spring pad for an easy lift.

w3526602

Hi,

As the years pass, you should eventually have acquired one of each of the following...

Screw type bottle jack.

Small hydraulic bottle jack. (2ton? But not much lift)

Small trolley jack. (2 ton? But still needs care to ensure stability if you want to lift both wheels of one axle).

Big trolley jack. (I can't remember the capacity, but definitely enough to lift both wheels of either axle. Much more stable if you lift under the differential ... wheels will be different heights.)

Hi-lift FARM jack. (Probably best kept/carried for recovery use. Handle with care ... they can be very dangerous. Do they really need to ben able to lift 60"? Me? I would shorten the vertical bit so that it will fit across the width of the inside of the back of the cab).

Chain Hoist. (If you have a beam/branch/gantry of sufficient magnitude, they should lift all four wheels of a SWB off the ground, with relative ease, Carry/keep it in a bucket. The endless chain needs shortening ... unless your beam is very high. Not really suitable for horizonal pulling.)

Deciding/purchasing sequence?  Ask your wallet! Everybody should have one of each. I did. I also had a 15cwt boat winch (cable) which I used to pull my trucks up my 1:8 drive, and into my 40ft garage. I won't go into what else I did with it, other than to say that it didn't like lifting a LR engine and gearbox bolted together ... I made sure that I didn't go underneath the load.)

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Feb 08, 2024, 09:13 AMIt uses a long handle stored under the centre row seats in my 109" SW with a square drive on the end. That square drive plugs into the jack and then you have a wooden handle to stick through a loop on the other end of the jack handle.

Not everyone knows that some Shelley jacks were supplied with a jacking rod that had a fishtail on the end, rather than a squared end.

This fitted into a slot, not a square hole in the jack.

I have seen these with Series Ones - and my 1959 SII, a one-family original vehicle, also came with such a jack.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else on here has a similar jack, or seen one with a vehicle in the past?

Wittsend

I've just bought a whizo electric jack with a 5 ton lifting capacity. It comes with a built-in air compressor for the tyres.  :gold-cup
Runs from the cigar lighter socket, or with battery clamps.
(Hydraulic with an onboard electric pump)

Works well on the Fiesta, not tried it on the Land Rover yet - too cold & wet.

diffwhine

It just so happens that I've just dug out a spare Discovery jack and handles from some spares so have one available. If you want it, drop me a pm.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon