News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

20 MPH Speed Limits

Started by geoff, Sep 19, 2023, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf

Quote from: geoff on Sep 19, 2023, 07:14 PMMany will be unaware that Wales has introduced a 20 MPH speed limit on most previous 30 MPH speed limit areas !
If you live in Wales as I do and object to such nanny state intervention and would like things to be returned to how they were please sign the official petition linked to below.
https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/245548
If you are in another part of the UK this could easily happen where YOU live as well so again I'd urge you to sign the petition.

"20mph speed limits on Welsh roads may return to 30mph by end of the year"

https://news.sky.com/story/welsh-government-set-to-announce-changes-to-20mph-limits-13121282)

Nothing certain yet, but could we be seeing the vox populi overcoming the autocratic dictates of a power-hungry minority?
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Worf

Bloke who brought it in was is a cycling fanatic and has now resigned "to spend more time with his family". First minister has now retired and couldnt even drive. New first minister is already mired in controversy. I am not holding my breath for any sensible decisions.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

snowtigress

It's the default speed limit in Highland Council area. This includes trunk roads through towns.  Scotland will have a default 20mph limit in the near future.

Archie

In Scotland we have had a programme of reduced speed limits.

As a result, the number of killed or seriously injured, on the road network, has dropped.

Surely better for all.
Archie

geoff

Vox Populi my ***** !

Let's not forget that it cost the best part of 40 million pounds to put up these new speed limit signs and given the size ( small ) of the political apology it will cost another 5 million pounds to put some of the speed signs back.

" They " have been embarrassed and shocked at the outcry over 20 mph and are afraid of losing votes and nothing more.

This reversion is only a sound bite to appease folks so they will feel better and switch off from the issue, nothing will change ubfortunately.

Saving lives ?

Let us not forget that " they " have said ( on the record ) that there is no need for expensive road projects and road repairs when all they have to do is reduce the speed limits instead.

This road speed reduction isn't really a case of human welfare by virtue of a policy decision it is the side effect of a smokescreen to cover up the policy of not spending money on our roads.

Saving lives ? I was speaking the other day to a friend of mine who is a paramedic, opinion there was that he finds it harder and takes longer to get to an incident as a direct result of the new 20 limits.

Anyway what would I know ???

All I know is that the band D council tax in my area is more than £300 more expensive than a different council area ! - different political colour and a distinct lack of vanity projects being undertaken.

Vanity projects !!!!

" They " want to increase the number of Welsh MP's from 60 up to 96

Where is the money coming from ?

I feel another smokescreen coming our way, side benefit is it will cover up the blue smoke from my Land Rovers exhaust as I toddle along up the road being chased by Greta

I also feel moderation coming along and hopefully a locked topic.

Drive safely  :pedal  :pedal  :pedal

Beowulf

Hi Geoff,
I agree, but aren't you being a little harsh about my Vox Populi? Translated it means "Voice Of The People" and I used it to demonstrate the apparent success of the very petition that you had recommended at the start of this topic, after all, a petition is a Voice Of The People.

And the outcry you refer to, "They " have been embarrassed and shocked at the outcry over 20 mph", is actually the Vox Populi that you now appear to be rubbishing, surely not?  ;)

Life, like driving, is full of risk, and wouldn`t life be bloody dull without some. Should we ban mountain climbing because someone might fall & get hurt or ban Rugby, a hard fought & physically demanding sport, and those who choose to play it, know the risks, so the last thing they want is some busybody intellectual telling them they can`t play it anymore.

But unlike sport, vehicles and speed are an integral part of all our lives and the, albeit unintended, consequences of interfering in it, are very real. Many of those consequences have been listed in other posts. 

Call it empire/legacy building, but politicians are all too often influenced by minority groups e.g. the Ramblers assoc who want to stop us using Greenlane's (read Green Roads). And although I`m not against very specific and targeted speed reduction areas, for example outside of schools, I`m pleased this 20 mph scheme appears to have been a spectacular failure.
:tiphat
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Wittsend

This topic is going round in circles and not one that can be solved here.

We've just had a round of ballot boxing and nothing much seems to have changed.

The next round will be coming soon ...

For now we'll look this topic ...