News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Bigdog, Oct 23, 2023, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

How do I tell by looking at my wheels and tyres if they are tube or tubeless, had a look and it doesn't say on my existing tyres

Hi,

The sidewalls should be embossed TUBELESS or TUBED (or possibly TUBED TYPE. unless I imagined that.) Also there is a difference in the size description ... something like 16 X 6 or 16-205 R80

Doh! My maidens have arrived. I will be back soon.

Bigdog

I looked everywhere and couldn't see anything marked on them saying tubed or tubeless

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 29, 2023, 02:43 PMJust checked my tyres and my valves move freely so I assume they are tubed ones
As I suspected from your photos.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Can you put tubes in a Goodyear G90 tubeless tyre

Alan Drover

Not advisable. The interior is rough and will chafe the tube causing it to deflate eventually. G90's are tubeless only. Late tubeless Defender or Wolf wheels are suitable.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Theshed

Quote from: w3526602 on Oct 29, 2023, 03:43 PMHow do I tell by looking at my wheels and tyres if they are tube or tubeless, had a look and it doesn't say on my existing tyres

Hi,

The sidewalls should be embossed TUBELESS or TUBED (or possibly TUBED TYPE. unless I imagined that.) Also there is a difference in the size description ... something like 16 X 6 or 16-205 R80

Doh! My maidens have arrived. I will be back soon.
I believe it was embossed on the sidewall near the rim. Tubed had a straight valve stem whilst tubeless have a mushroom like valve which seals against the wheel.
I would say any car built in the last 30 years or so would have tubeless tyres as standard ?

w3526602

Hmmm! Actually returned the following morning.

My understanding is that Series WHEELS require tubes, something to do with the "fit" of the tyre beads against  the rim, and the "rim to centre" being rivetted, so not airtight. Perhaps somebody here can give us "chapter and verse" according to both wheel and tyre manufacturers?

Having said that, I have mixed and matched in unapproved ways, and never had any problems.

From choice, I prefer to use "pierced" rims  (what I call "STEEL SLOTS") from later Land/Range Rover models, or even aftermarket WELLER wheels, which are often found on Ebay for not a lot of money. But note that the date of tyre manufacture should be embossed on the tyre's sidewalls. Some EU countries have laws about the age (5 years?) of tyres fitted, with the date of manufacture embossed on the sidewalls, but you need to know the code, which I don't. I don't know if these regulations apply to EMERGENCY spare tyres. ??? It would hurt to have to throw away a "never used" but time expired tyre.

Can somebody comment on any difference between S1/S2/S2/2A rim part numbers, and S3 rim part numbers, and wheel interchangeability? I'm asking, because there have been questions in the past about the suitability of using 16mm stud holes on 9/16" studs. Will S2 wheels fit onto S3 hubs?

Me? If ever the occasion arises again, and funds permit, I would replace all four S2 hubs, with S3 hubs. I think complete, ready to roll, S3 hubs are well in excess of £100 a corner. (check Craddocks website) But that raises the question of S2 brake drums fitting over S3 wheel studs.

I doubt if anybody here has worried about fitting  S3 LWB brakes onto S2 hubs. Me? I will continue taking the tablets.

PS Remind me to take my LOTT0 ticket into the newsagent for checking.

Bigdog

Are wolf wheels suitable for a series 2a 109 ex military

Alan Drover

I think the larger wheel studs will be needed if not already fitted. Wolf wheels are very strong and virtually pothole proof but very heavy, about 20 kilos each, 40 with a G90.fitted.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 29, 2023, 05:19 PMCan you put tubes in a Goodyear G90 tubeless tyre

On tractors I have heard of tubed tyres being filled with water, instead of air to act as wheel weights/ballast.

Useful for loaders an so on.

Alan Drover

Correct. I remember in my childhood days a water filled tractor tyre bursting. It made quite a noise.
"Ça plane pour moi!"