News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Re-creating patina

Started by Telemuhcaster, Sep 13, 2023, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemuhcaster

Hello everyone.

My Series wants a new bulkhead. It has a lovely patina and I worry a newly painted bulkhead will look strange. Has anybody successfully recreated a slight patina?
I know I know patina can't be bought and it won't look 100% but i reckon it's worth a go.

Cheers!

Ken

It can be done but don't ask me how. A few years ago a vscc member created a copy of a 1920's race car and did just that, crazed paint exhaust staining, the lot. You honestly could not tell by looking at it that it wasn't ancient.If it helps I could post a question on the vscc forum for advice.

Ken

I have just noticed that you're in Warwickshire, the vscc guy lives on the Fosse way in Warwickshire so not too far from you.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I too would be very interested in how this is done. If it really does look the part.

The current fashion in the custom scene - or it was when I last looked - is for a 'rat-rod'. The ratty look. These get left to rust etc, yet frankly they end up looking repro antique furniture 'old'; country-style orange pine kitchen 'old'; neo-Georgian house 'old' ie: it'd be better had they not tried.

If you've info or links to those that can do this well, and I'm sure it's far from easy please spill the beans. Would be very appreciative.

Alan Drover

The owner of a very rat look Series 3 at the recent Wallop Gathering told me the agreed valuation was £10,000!!!!!?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

chughes5

Lots of videos on youtube showing how to acheive different effects - i watched a few the other week by Broke Bast**d Garage

Exile

In the past I have primed and then painted steel parts in aerosol Silver, and then put a thin colour-topcoat over it.

You can rub wear patches into it if required.

I am doing it now on my current SII restoration.

It is not perfect (as worn paint on a steel item should result in rust - unlike on aluminium - but I'm not prepared to paint rust-effect.)

Few people have noticed in the past.

It will be interesting to see how many notice when this one is finished....

N

My personal preference if/when I come to do a replacement bulkhead would be to simply paint it properly. There is so little of it on show that it doesn't look odd to me - In fact, when I see a nicely patinated Landy with a fresh replacement bulkhead in mint condition I think that it looks excellent and 'honest'.

Phil2014

That what I've done with this, did think about trying to put a layer of blue over the top and trying to reveal the green, but thought I'd make a mess of it.
Borders area rep.

diffwhine

Quote from: N on Sep 17, 2023, 12:22 PMMy personal preference if/when I come to do a replacement bulkhead would be to simply paint it properly. There is so little of it on show that it doesn't look odd to me - In fact, when I see a nicely patinated Landy with a fresh replacement bulkhead in mint condition I think that it looks excellent and 'honest'.

I agree. I rebuilt a late 2A for somebody during lockdown on that basis. Looks right to me.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon