News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is best

Started by Bigdog, Oct 11, 2023, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Original metal wing mounted for me, but I've replaced the flat glass with convex from pheonix mirrors,

Looks right but a whole lot more useful

nathanglasgow

Never had a problem using the small round wing mounted mirrors. Passed you a couple of hours ago at Ardrisaig

Bigdog

Hi Nathan, I was out at my new house we are building, safe journeys

Quote from: Exile on Oct 13, 2023, 05:19 PMI have Series mirrors on my Series and door mirrors on my coilers.

I have grown up using wing mirrors and am used to them.
Correctly positioned they are not a problem to me - even with flat glass.

And I only reverse into one or two vehicles a week.....   :screen

A chap I knew who lived in double parked terraced streets, referred to that as 'Parisian parking'.

On the topic of mirrors do folk remember those plastic lensed unbreakables that I think were made by raydot and typical fitted to Bedford tk amongst others.

The silvering deteriorated, initially going speckled and then towards black.  Like an old telly being switch off.

Craig T

Quote from: JonB on Oct 15, 2023, 12:41 PMOriginal metal wing mounted for me, but I've replaced the flat glass with convex from pheonix mirrors,

I haven't heard of this company before but thanks for mentioning them. I have wing mounted flat glass round mirrors on my Land Rover and they are not that great to be fair. I will get some convex glass fitted to them and try that.

Cheers

Craig.

JonB

Craig, I think I got 98mm diameter ones. I broke the old glass out and bought the size that just fitted (I think they do 2mm increments)and fitted them using the supplied sticky pads.

They haven't fallen out and you can't notice the small gap at the edge. Good price too 👍

Jon

Quote from: Craig T on Oct 16, 2023, 02:39 PM
Quote from: JonB on Oct 15, 2023, 12:41 PMOriginal metal wing mounted for me, but I've replaced the flat glass with convex from pheonix mirrors,

I haven't heard of this company before but thanks for mentioning them. I have wing mounted flat glass round mirrors on my Land Rover and they are not that great to be fair. I will get some convex glass fitted to them and try that.

Cheers

Craig.

The transit mirrors with fixed flat upper and separate lower wide angle are great from a function point of view but I dont think they lend themselves to land rover unless function is more important than form.

Sunny Jim

This is actually my photograph of the set up I used. It works OK, but isn't completely rigid, and I don't think the mirror brackets are easy to come by now! The packing is just a strip of aluminium sheet, and a thicker block that I scrounged from our workshop back when I used to work for a living! You also need to make a packing for under the front half of the hinge to keep things in line.

Sunny Jim

Adam1958

Quote from: Clifford Pope on Oct 12, 2023, 06:23 PM
Quote from: Adam1958 on Oct 12, 2023, 06:13 PMWing mounted with convex glass so you can actually see things.

I took that as read - plane glass is useless. I wonder whether those who don't like wing mounted have only ever actually  encountered plane?

Another point I repeat to anyone who wants to hear is that wing mirrors require only eye movement to flick fully from one to the other. It's easy to keep eyes on both at the same time. Door mirrors require head movement to check both.

I do see lots of plain flat glass ones in use. So perhaps it's not as common as you would like to think to use convex?? The other thing that seems to put people off is the rattle and movement in some of the aftermarket mirror stalks. I modified mine to get rid of the jiggle.

Larry S

Quote from: Adam1958 on Oct 18, 2023, 03:48 PM
Quote from: Adam1958 on Oct 12, 2023, 06:13 PMWing mounted with convex glass so you can actually see things.

I took that as read - plane glass is useless. I wonder whether those who don't like wing mounted have only ever actually  encountered plane?

Another point I repeat to anyone who wants to hear is that wing mirrors require only eye movement to flick fully from one to the other. It's easy to keep eyes on both at the same time. Door mirrors require head movement to check both.

I do see lots of plain flat glass ones in use. So perhaps it's not as common as you would like to think to use convex?? The other thing that seems to put people off is the rattle and movement in some of the aftermarket mirror stalks. I modified mine to get rid of the jiggle.

Are those chrome?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Adam1958

Quote from: Larry S on Oct 19, 2023, 03:07 AM
Quote from: Adam1958 on Oct 18, 2023, 03:48 PM

Are those chrome?

Yeah, I'm still on the fence about painting them black. I'll probably just let the dead bugs build up till they are actually black.

Worf

If you think wing mounted mirrors vibrate a bit, just look at these :confused

https://tinyurl.com/ps8tckk2
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

It did not save the back right corner!

Craig T

Wow, those are something else!

Love the way the advert says it could be a series 2a when the chassis plate inside clearly states series 3....

Craig.