Previous topic - Next topic

stevesharpe

I would like to fit an original wire steering wheel on my 1961 series 2
However, I probably think I have the later steering column now fitted
Can someone clarify what I have and if it is possible to fit the earlier wheel
Thanks
Steve

Wittsend

You have the later 2A steering wheel/column setup.

Someone in the past has replaced the OE steering column/box with the later 2A setup you now have.

To fit a spoked wire steering wheel you will need to change the steering column/box back to the OE fitting.

[In the past there was a company who made spoked wheel adaptors for later columns - but I've not heard anything of them for years.]
:RHD

Sunny Jim

Wire spoked wheels are now awesomely expensive, even in poor condition, and difficult to come by! Regrettably, I have now sold off my collection of old wheels (all for far more than I paid for them originally). I was trying to find one suitable for home restoration, but found the rims were all very worn. One had been bodged with filler, and two broken spokes disguised! Professional restoration by Myrtles is very good, but not cheap - they managed to repair the broken spokes, and I sold the wheel on. On a lot of used wheels, the boss has been bashed to hell by people trying to remove them. I did a post on the old forum showing how to carefully tap one back to shape with a small hammer. Note that some wheels advertised on E-bay are so bad that they are only fit for the skip! Decent, restorable ones can be £200!

You can rebuild your existing column into the earlier type by replacing the inner and outer column, and overhauling the rest. Beware that a lot of steering column/boxes are also in very poor condition, and may need a lot of parts replacing! My current column was a replacement that I built from entirely new parts that I had gathered up over the years for the right price. I actually got my steering wheel new, from what must have been the last batch of existing new old stock in the world, from Dunsfolds. It was expensive at the time, but now seems reasonable compared to the cost of used wheels and restoration today!

It might be better to try and source a replacement column of the correct type, strip it, then source any new parts needed. At least you can get one where the mounting tags haven't broken off the steering box! Likewise, someone on here might have a wheel in restorable condition for a reasonable price? Be aware also that steering wheel centres are expensive to buy as well!

Yours is of the age where it may well have had a side mounted horn push, and blank wheel centre originally - you would need the later version to keep the horn push and indicator switch, along with the attachment for the wheel. There are several variations of inner and outer column, so you will need to know which is correct before proceeding. Looking at the photograph, you have a much later bulkhead fitted with black dash, later column mount and single wiper motor!

You can of course recoup some monies by selling off your existing parts afterwards!

Sunny Jim

w3526602

Hi Sunny Jim.

Are you saying that new S2 wire wheels are now available?

As I said previously, S3 wheels came with "centre lock" wheels, but I doubt that they came with wire steering wheels. The Construction and Use regulations declared that wire spoke steering wheels were dangerous, as you might get your fingers caught between the spokes. I think they said the same about wire wheels?

Also said previously, if you have an S3 column (or maybe just the inner column ???) you can fit a Range Rover or MGB steering wheel, so presumably, an after-market steering wheel boss. I believe that wire wheels (3 and 4 spoke) are available to fit such bosses.

w3526602

Hi,

I've done a bit of digging, found what appeared to be new wire spoke Land Rover Series steering wheels at ...

mrsteeringwheels.com

Digging deeper was beyond my skills, other than to find it was an American company. I leave that to somebody who really, really, wants to know.

602 (Returning to bed)

stevesharpe

As usual a very comprehensive reply to my question - I would consider changing the column to the one suitable for a wire wheel, but even the columns are bonkers expensive.  I have the power steering conversion my series 2 and its simply amazing - transforms the driving experience and no play at all.  Think I will just stick with the more modern wheel!
Thanks again
Steve

Adam1958

Quote from: stevesharpe on Nov 03, 2023, 05:29 PMI would like to fit an original wire steering wheel on my 1961 series 2
However, I probably think I have the later steering column now fitted
Can someone clarify what I have and if it is possible to fit the earlier wheel
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve, how original are you after, original-original 100% or original looking?

Adam1958

I did this to a the same column type as you have, because I was after period looking original-ish, but wanted an inch or so smaller diameter.

It's an Petri Style Banjo wheel for a Porsche 356 and VW column, I modified a regular mountney boss to work.

diffwhine

It may or may not help, but I have a 1959 dowel type steering box which has been stripped, vapour cleaned and about to be rebuilt. The inner column race seats are perfect, so it looks good. It's one for a side mounted horn. I'm building it to sell to recover the cost of rebuilding my 1965 one which needs a new column. Both are similar and take the wire wheel and clamp bolt, but the later column is about an 1" longer.

If you do decide to go period original, let me know - I'm sure a deal could be made.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Neil Furness

Hi I have several spoked steering wheels available, from as is to concourse