News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Ineos Grenadier (again)

Started by Richard, Jul 14, 2023, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Today in Le Républicain lorrain, a regional newspaper in the Grand Est, where Ineos have a production plant, at Hambach, on the new pickup Quartermaster. Took the picture with my iPhone in my regular watering hole, La Comédie, in Metz, hope it's readable... (Erm, in French, of course.)

And a note on a Grenadier on hydrogen...

Richard
'64 S2a

linesrg

Good evening all,

My calculator doesn't have enough digits to work out the price of buying a Grenadier..........

Regards

Richard

Genocache

William

I got up close and personal with a Grenadier at the Royal Welsh Show today - I'm entirely sold on it. Maybe driving only my 2a 88" and series 3 109" for 35 years has clouded my judgement a touch - but the tangible quality of the vehicle and the integrity of its design and construction captivated me. The solid feel of the doors - wow! 
We then compared it with a new Defender next door and it just didn't move me. Tinny and somehow ill thought through, especially the two door with rear seats.
Tellingly the guys on the Grenadier stand invited us to sit in the vehicle, play with it and talked us through the specification and build, including the level of rust protection on the chassis. The Land Rover stand on the other hand deliberately locked the vehicles when we approached and stood there looking aloof. Not good. So it's a Grenadier for me  :RHD

diffwhine

Pleased to hear that! I'll pass it back into the team.
Also gives me a bit of ammo to try and get a Grenadier for the Rally... So far they all appear to be allocated that weekend, but I'll see if I can get hold of one of the old prototype test vehicles.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Genocache

Diffwhine,  I'll take a prototype Quartermaster over here please....... :RHD

diffwhine

It would do well in your neck of the woods. It is a big vehicle for UK roads. I had a bundle of laughs parking one in my local supermarket car park last week.

William

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 25, 2023, 08:49 PMPleased to hear that! I'll pass it back into the team.
Also gives me a bit of ammo to try and get a Grenadier for the Rally... So far they all appear to be allocated that weekend, but I'll see if I can get hold of one of the old prototype test vehicles.

It'd be great to see one at the Rally - the Grenadier will complement my series...especially now I'm older and really feel it after driving them for more than two hours.
On size - wider, certainly...but it felt shorter than my 109 - but great to have a usable load area with proper tie-downs - loved the bi-fold doors too.
An old farmer boy and I had a bit of a giggle at the load space in the Defender 😎

Genocache

I'm telling ya if I had the yenom I'd buy a Quartermaster though I would prefer a single cab for a longer bed. I also much prefer the looks of the 109 pickup, but finding a cab over here is like finding unicorn poo.

Richard

And another one in le Républicain lorrain. (The production site at Hambach, "two notches up from what I've seen elsewhere" according to the journalist, is in Lorraine.) An (all-?)electric will be built in Austria from 2026-7. A hydrogen version will be built at Hambach.
Richard
'64 S2a

Genocache

diffwhine

No - not me - I didn't cover the Goodwood event. That's the "other Mark". He is probably one of the most experienced off road drivers on the planet.

Genocache

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 04, 2023, 07:52 AMNo - not me - I didn't cover the Goodwood event. That's the "other Mark". He is probably one of the most experienced off road drivers on the planet.

Oh well, thought I had a Diffwhine sighting.

Craig T

I saw my first Grenadier this morning on the way to work in a village called Ockley, Surrey. It was a dark red one and what I would call a 110 station wagon body style. It did look rather nice, certainly has presence but not ridiculously large like the jelly mould Range Rovers have grown into.

I need to get a closer look at one but if I was in the market for a new vehicle, it would certainly tick a lot of boxes. I would just have to ignore the German engine under the bonnet....

Craig.

Bloke

Nice little video from Richard Hammond which loosely links the Ineos Grenadier to the first production Land Rover. 'Tis a good watch.

1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)