News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyre ages?

Started by JohnR2, May 01, 2024, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR2

Not on these tyres - this is an example from one of them. I have been over every inch of them - these numbers are the only ones particular to individual tyres (as listed before) the remaining numbers are generic model numbers which are the same on all the tyres and also more than four numbers.

TimV

It is possible they are pre 1980.

They are listed in my 1988 parts catalogue, and were one of the standard fitments for Series 3 production.

Craig T

Regardless of age, they are nice looking tyres, like them a lot.

I have Range Masters on my 109" and they were fitted back in 2004 according to the photos I have of the rebuild. They have been in the dark since then, inflated and holding up the vehicle. Probably covered 500 miles in their life. They are still very soft, flexible, no cracking, and I'm perfectly happy driving around on them.
Not sure I need to replace them simply based on their age.

Craig.

diffwhine

According to my notes, LR dropped the Ranger as a production fit before 1995 model year production due to supply issues. The standard OEM fit for UK moved to Rangemasters (known internally as Ditchfinders...)

It does suggest that these tyres may well be older than possibly anticipated. That said, if they are as good as they look, I'd have no problem fitting on one of my own vehicles, but I would be monitoring them closely for any signs of cracking or bulging. For just an occasional chug about to the pub or the dump, I'd use them happily. Like the XZYs I'm selling, I'd be wary about using them in anger for a transglobal expedition.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

TimV

I bought off a fellow member in one of the previous incarnations of this forum a set of unused Ranger tyres, back in 2016.

I sold them on in the end, still not used, bought some Rangemasters. Never looked back.

GlenAnderson

Avon "Dangers" was how we referred to them in the 80s...

I didn't like them thirty years ago and I certainly wouldn't fit them now. 

Old Hywel

Didn't the Ranger have trouble with wires poking out from the casing?
Sorry JR2, not purposely rubbishing your tyres. Keep an eye on them, they should be fine.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Not sure I understand this thread or where it's going.

For some reason we're lax on tyre dates in this country. Most of Europe has a 5YO tyre as illegal. Europe is where your local 'Part-worn' dealer gets their stock.

It's simple, a tyre has its DOT code or they're 25 years old minimum. Suited to showground-miles or best of all, scrap.

DOT format is 4-digit. Thus '2321' where 23 is the 23rd 'week in the year'; 21 the year.

Only, Facts are Evil. Thus £50 says they'll get used anyway.

Old Hywel

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on May 05, 2024, 12:48 PMNot sure I understand this thread or where it's going.

Only, Facts are Evil. Thus thus they'll get used anyway.

Not sure I understand that either.

diffwhine

I have a feeling this thread has been worked to the limit and seems to be a subject which has been covered as infinitum...

Bottom line is we all know that to use old tyres is a potential safety concern. The OP asked how to work out how old they were, while clearly aware that they are old stock. Currently the law in the UK does not prohibit the use of old tyres on passenger vehicles, so that is irrelevant. Perhaps it should, but it does not. Presumably therefore the DVSA do not regard this as an issue or high potential risk compared to commercials, coaches and buses where there are strict rules.

Therefore as it stands, if the OP chooses to buy these tyres, a tyre fitter deems them ok and there are no cracks and bulges, currently there is no issue. At your own risk and all that.

Probably best if we lock this thread now and see what other interesting things are going on in the world.

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon