Why do some Military LRs have a 'Rear-guard' panel or indicator Light?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Apr 30, 2024, 08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanglasgow

Back to the OP. You say you've seen them on military land rovers, give us a clue then, which ones did you see them on?

NoBeardNoTopKnot

The root to my question is not from a wrong kind of rivets perspective. More for why the military had these? I've seen these offered at car-meets, there's always one for sale on eBay. I assumed S2 and S3. Maybe not S2, yet they're a definite LR Series item.

My question assumes like me, someone has seen these, and one of you has one on an LR. Hence, knows what they do; why the military have them. I assumed, wrongly, they are common as dirt. Seems not.

https://pablanchard.co.uk/Warning-Light-Fog-Light-Rear-Guard-PRC1492

Part: PRC1492

Why is it not called a Fog-light, why a Rear-guard?

And why infra-red? See Prc2156 

https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/infra-red-light.23827/

I know a lot of vets, I'll have a word.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Well, from one ex TA fella, I have one piece of the jigsaw:

A 'Rear Guard' is a military force or manoeuvre. eg when trying to board the craft at the beaches of Dunkirk, there would  be a 'Rear Guard' to stop the Germans attacking the beach, thus they operated a 'Rear Guard' manoeuvre.

Why there's use for a fog-light or any light come to that, to indicate any part of this manoeuvre beats me and the TA fella I know. Surely a light is the last thing a Rear Guard wants?

Will keep digging.

22900013A

I've certainly seen fog lights described as "fog guard" lights.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: 22900013A on May 08, 2024, 10:08 PMI've certainly seen fog lights described as "fog guard" lights.

In military use? Here's the best rearguard definition:

A rearguard is a part of a military force that protects the main force from attack from the rear. This is either during an advance or withdrawal.

Reference our light - it's not hard to work why we want an idiot-panel to warn a fog-light is ON, only something is still amiss.  I can't see the context, a light as defence makes no sense?

diffwhine

I've got a 1997 Land Rover product update training brief. One of the model year introductions in 1997 was non latching switch for the "rear fog guard system".

It is a term used within LR and has been for some time. How that fits with this light, I know not.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

22900013A

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on May 09, 2024, 01:58 PM
Quote from: 22900013A on May 08, 2024, 10:08 PMI've certainly seen fog lights described as "fog guard" lights.

In military use? Here's the best rearguard definition:

A rearguard is a part of a military force that protects the main force from attack from the rear. This is either during an advance or withdrawal.

Reference our light - it's not hard to work why we want an idiot-panel to warn a fog-light is ON, only something is still amiss.  I can't see the context, a light as defence makes no sense?

Its self-evidently got nothing to do with tactics in that sense. The fog light is a defence against someone ploughing into the back of you in dense fog, hence the term "fog guard". As diffwhine says above, that's the term LR chose to use. Rear in this case would refer to the rear fog light, presumably front guard would be the front fog light.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Agreed, only this is a 'Rear-guard' light. The indicator panel doesn't say 'Fog-guard'. If it did, is a 'Fog-guard' the same thing? Hence, both are military parlance for a fog-light? Does a fog-light in military application have another purpose, or does 'Fog-guard' muddy the waters more. I just like to know this stuff...

I'm expecting to go for drink with some vets in the next few weeks.   I love milly humour: Bet I'm right.'Rear-guard' could very easily be just that, if so -  and I get the joke, it all makes perfect sense.

ARRSEPedia is the British Army encyclopedia

Imber Village once had the highest concentration of retards in the UK.