News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

New dumb irons

Started by Mark547, Jul 13, 2023, 08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark547

I cant remember where, think it might have been Classis Land Rover, but I read recently that we now have to have a chassis number stamped on the chassis for mot as the bulkhead plate is not enough. We have an 88 that came to us 15 years or so ago with replacement dumb irons with no number. It now needs more dumb irons. Can we stamp the number ourselves? How many other series trucks are out there with replacement dumb irons without a stamping on them? Must be loads.

diffwhine

If it is your own vehicle with a known providence and you can confirm the chassis number against the one on the chassis plate, then no problem - you can stamp your own version of the correct number on the chassis in the correct location.
I've yet to see an MOT tester visually check a chassis number rather than just reading it off the plate under the bonnet or under the bulkhead, but in theory that's correct - it should be a confirmation of the physical chassis number.

As long as its on there in the correct location, that should satisfy the authorities. I clamp a guide plate to the chassis leg and mark out the digits with a marker pen before stamping the numbers in. If you write them on first, its an easy way of checking you are doing it correctly.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

Firstly, you don't have to to have the chassis stamped after replacing the front dumb irons, there is no legal requirement.
However - for some time now the club's advice is to do so.

Doesn't matter on matching the exact font and style, just as long as there's a legible number visible.

The reason is, that if the vehicle is inspected or the DVLA get involved non-experienced vehicle inspectors will be expecting to find the chassis number there.

If your vehicle is already in the "system" MoT'd, taxed etc. then it's not so important. At the MoT the tester has to satisfy thenselves that the vehicle is "kosher". They will check the reg number on their DVLA terminal and it will come up on their screen. The test can proceed.

If you vehicle was ever stolen (and recovered) having the number will help ascertain the status of the vehicle.

It's quite easy to "home" stamp the chassis number, you can make a little jig up. Access is limited, remove the wheel and wing if you can.

Obviously, after replacing the dumb iron, then would be the best time to do the stamping.

For anti-theft purposes you may want to stamp the number somewhere else, as well, on the chassis - in a place known only to you.

:RHD

Birdsnest55

I have just changed my Dumb irons and took the opportunity to stamp them whilst I could clamp them in a vice, so much easier than doing it after they are fitted.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Mark547

Thank you folks. This is what I was hoping to hear. ITs been sorned for a while but we have had it moted in the past. I have punches. Not the original size but I will stamp the new dumb iron before I weld it on.  :cheers-man

Wittsend

Does your old dumb iron have/show the chassis number ???

If so, keep it as a souvenir in your man cave - you never know, it could save you hassle later.