What you did with your Series 2 in April

Started by Wittsend, Apr 01, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Anything ???

:coach

Alan Drover

It's the first day of my Land Rover's summer which meant removing the poppy/radiator muff.
As well I knocked up a replacement spacer for the driver's side step. There's a lug on the step which butts against the centre mounting bracket to keep the step level but without the spacer the step will move and suddenly drop a bit when I'm standing on it. Crude but effective.
I had intended to replace the centre exhaust bracket but the ground was damp and dark clouds appeared after the morning sunshine so I'll leave that for another day.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Theshed

Was loading up for trip to tip, then remembered it classed as a van. So need to apply for a permit.  :thud

Alan Drover

With Hampshire County Council all I had to do was to give the registration number of the Land Rover and no permit needed. It's now registered with them and that's it
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Countryview

Same as Alan, registered with HCC and all good...never been questioned at the site to date.
1959 88" Series 2

Exile

Painted the large number of small parts that comprise the handbrake and its mechanism.

Even having done at least two of them before, I still have no recollection of where all the different size washers and sundry pieces go......

It's a good job I like puzzles. :coffee

snowtigress

Been investigating a wandersome speedo, which lead a knackered prop shaft bolt, a very loose output shapt nut to finding an oil leak, oily handbrake shoes etc. All in a weekends work.  Now waiting for the spares to arrive to get it all sorted out.

simonbav

I started off painting the 88's seat rails and hung them up to dry. I cut a new rubber seal for the steering column at the bulkhead. Fitted a replacement intermediate exhaust pipe (thanks Chris), cut new rubber pads for under the tub and fitted them, then made up and fitted a new n/s rear brake pipe and bled the brakes. I've still not found my third tub floor support. I hope I uncover it as I reassemble.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

Fixed the dashboard voltmeter that suddenly decided to stop working. The earth wire had come adrift so a new forked connector crimped on and slotted over a nearby fixing bolt restored power.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bonnet-rouge

Didn't rain this morning so roof is on ready for trip back to Blighty next week
The Earth is flat 🌎

Theshed

Quote from: Theshed on Apr 01, 2024, 01:36 PMWas loading up for trip to tip, then remembered it classed as a van. So need to apply for a permit.  :thud
It fairly simple process, apply online with vehicle details and they send out permit, not sure of the timescale but I get 3 visits.
I was initially refused last time I applied as my Email is 'shedload'. They thought I was a business.
Emptying sheds !  😂

TimV

Tried out my new speedo cable by driving up the nearby motorway - spot on, and a solid needle. I've never had it so good, and the cable came in a blue bag!

Littlelegs

I've been pottering tidying up a few bits so far this week. Removed, stripped and cleaned up both wiper motors, which need new seals (ordered) but work fine. One bolt holding the adapter onto the motor spindle snapped so I had to drill it out, but other than that no dramas.

I also stripped the heater vents to bare metal and removed the untidy red gloss paint, rust treated and painted in black.

Removed the steering wheel horn centre piece and stripped off the rusty bronze green paint, rust treated and painted that black. Just done a second coat and once dry will reassemble.

Also cleaned up the door stays, which someone had painted bronze green. It was flaking off and showing signs of corrosion. One of them was quite bent so I used the blow torch to warm it up and a little hammer encouragement straitened that out.

Oh and I packaged the Solex carb up and sent it off for fettling. Not too bad considering.

A few pics below to show my progress.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

diffwhine

Finally did something for my own Series 2... I bought a set of those plastic window runners off the Series 3 Club. Not cheap, but by far the most sensible solution. They certainly look the part. Time will tell when I eventually get round to fitting them.

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Paul4978

Got it out of the garage to meet a visitor. Started first time after 2 secs so no embarrassment