What you did with your Series 2 in April

Started by Wittsend, Apr 01, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Quote from: Paul4978 on Apr 05, 2024, 12:58 PMGot it out of the garage to meet a visitor. Started first time after 2 secs so no embarrassment

I'm sure the 2A was able to start no problem... What about the other one? A mate of mine locally is on his 3rd engine...  :thud
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

I probably should qualify that jibe by saying that I do like them - they have started to grow on me at last. Took time, but I appear to be turning a corner.

Paul4978

Quote from: diffwhine on Apr 05, 2024, 02:10 PMI probably should qualify that jibe by saying that I do like them - they have started to grow on me at last. Took time, but I appear to be turning a corner.

Me too, I now think they look good, but no way I could justify the expense. His is a diesel hybrid. Not a plug in though.

diffwhine

Nothing with my Series 2, but I managed to load a long wheelbase transit with enough useful bits to run quite a stall at Newbury tomorrow. I've brought a Series 2 Club flag which I will attempt to fly from the back of the transit if I can find a means of attaching the two together.

Come and say hello - I should be indoors this time if they've taken my booking correctly. If not you will find a very grumpy diffwhine sitting in the mud outside demanding a refund...

timfoster

We fitted these (Series 3 club plastic window channels) on my 2A having finally replaced the modern rear window panels with period-correct station-wagon windows. As we were replacing the doors too, we used the plastic channels there as well, despite getting a "free" set of the old felt/steel channels with the new doors.

The channels are exactly as good as all the posts I've read about them. Fiddly to fit (various types of adhesive via trial and error) but worth it in the end. Now I can hear just the horrible noise of the 200tdi, rather than the horrible noise of the 200tdi and a window hammering along beside my right ear :-)

https://timfoster.smugmug.com/Land-Rover/Photos/i-fxQ6b8B/A

- tim

diffwhine

Tim,
What adhesive did you end up using?

VYR712

Picked up the new v8 2a from Leeds and drove it to Surrey .Had to stop for fuel at Watford gap but did spend part of the journey in the outside lane

Mike T

Finished fitting the splined wheel studs in second hub.

diffwhine

We had a cracking day at the Newbury Sortout. I reckon I got rid of well over 3/4s of what I loaded in the van yesterday. Saw lots of Series 2 Club members and had a thoroughly good day.

You cannot view this attachment.

Alan Drover

At least you were out of the wind. I hope to go in October.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Space-Kook

For the first time in a long time all the pieces of my lightweight are in the same place, thanks again diffwhine.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

timfoster

Quote from: diffwhine on Apr 06, 2024, 08:18 PMTim,
What adhesive did you end up using?

I'll check with David (the poor unfortunate who did most of the work) but I believe he went with Stixall in the end.

- tim

Alan Drover

Took the battery mower and the Hayterette to the garden machinery centre. The unbalanced blade on the battery mower was dealt with on the spot with apologies.
In the afternoon at last I fitted the new centre exhaust mount with the stainless steel clamp. I must have rushed fitting the old one as it was out of line and the top bolt hole was torn. This time I was more careful and lined it up properly and put copper grease on the bottom clamp bolt as the old one took some shifting but fortunately it broke.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Gres

Today was allocated to sorting odd jobs for friends and family. No urgency required so ideal for the Land Rover which promptly rewarded me with a new metallic whistle/ whine.

Fan belt off, neither the water pump or alternator to blame, dizzy lubricated, vacuum pipe all secure....hmm, thoughts of disintegrating clutch, potty mouth moment, cup of tea.
The last job had been a carb refurb, best check that anyway and success, a loose carb securing nut and air being sucked in past the gasket!

There was also a reminder clunk on the trip round, chassis bush replacement in the rain tomorrow, yippee!

Adam1958

Unwrapping NOS parts from those old brown boxes, and wax cloth and all the rest of it is the most exciting thing... must be my inner archeologist perhaps?
B-C layshaft.