News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Other than petrol

Started by Space-Kook, Apr 29, 2024, 12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space-Kook

I was watching a couple of these videos earlier: https://youtu.be/l7og5k_M9EY?si=IPtyoYCIXCGLHVjY
In that one he tries to get his vehicle running on vodka of varying strengths, but he's also tried WD-40, kerosene, and others with mixed success.
It looks like quite a bit of fun.
What would trying something like that do to an engine? Is there any risk of damage?
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Larry S

I've heard you can run the 2.25 on moonshine, but it can damage the engine if used extensively.

Not sure how true that is though.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

DogDave

Given most of us won't use e10 fuel as 10% ethanol can damage the engine I'd guess that 100% ethanol is going to damage a few things.

If it was properly prepared with the runner lines all removed, any soft alloys swapped out etc you could make it work but in stock form I don't think it would be a great idea.

Space-Kook

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would using different types of petrol damage the engine? What damage could it do?

I should say I'm not intending to go out on the driveway with a bottle of vodka and some wd40.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

DogDave

Quote from: Space-Kook on Apr 29, 2024, 07:48 PMSorry if this is a dumb question, but why would using different types of petrol damage the engine? What damage could it do?

I should say I'm not intending to go out on the driveway with a bottle of vodka and some wd40.

It's not the petrol that's the issue - it's the proportion of it vs the proportion of ethanol E5 is up to 5% ethanol and 95% petrol - E10 is up to 10% ethanol and only 90% petrol.

E10 is only guaranteed safe for new car and bike engines (by new like 15 years or something) earlier engines, along with things like garden tools are not designed to run on Ethanol and it can dissolve rubber components and cause premature wear in some alloys.

They will be plenty that say they are using it no problem I'm sure - personally I wouldn't chance it. Given you will get better performance and mpg from E5 and not the worry about it eating away at things I'll pay for the premium fuel

Richard

Duch Puszczy? "Spirit of the woods"? Sounds different to my Dutch, sorry Duch ears :cool
Richard
'64 S2a

geoff

Sounds a bit rude ^^^^  :essen

Craig T

I remember an episode of Mythbusters where they tried to get a mower engine running on black powder and coal dust. That more or less blocked up the intake and valves but they did get a few pops of ignition from both.
Flour is another very explosive mixture and flour mills exploding was not unheard of in the past. Sawdust can also be explosive if it is in the air and the mixture of air to dust is right with a source of ignition.
https://youtu.be/N2jeQt5Yjew

For effective combustion you don't just need a flammable liquid though. By the time petrol gets to the pistons on our Land Rovers it is more or less vapour or atomised fuel. Fuel injection engines atomise the fuel which mixes with air as it is injected. A puddle of petrol entering the combustion chamber will not really explode, it might burn but not explode.

The ratio of that fuel vapour to air mixture is critical hence why adding more fuel to your engine by making the engine richer does not make it more powerful.

I'm guessing with Vodka it is only the alcohol that is burning so you could simply use alcohol. We use Isopropyl alcohol at work for cleaning things and the fumes are strong but I think it's far less volatile than petrol fumes so you may get an engine to run on it but doubt it would have any power.

I used to run a Range Rover on LPG and that was very effective. There was a slight power loss but not enough to worry about.

Craig.

GHOBHW

just saw this on one of the series facebook groups, thought of this thread :RHD

Old Hywel

For anyone else wondering; the War Office became the MOD in 1964.

Craig T

A lot of armoured fighting vehicles (tanks) were multi-fuel as well.

I always wondered how they work. You need a very high compression for a Diesel ignition but that compression is too high for petrol. Maybe they are variable compression in some way? On Diesel you go for high compression, no sparks to the plugs and running on petrol, lower the compression and turn on the magnetos?

Craig. 

Richard

Quote from: Craig T on Apr 30, 2024, 09:58 AMA lot of armoured fighting vehicles (tanks) were multi-fuel as well.

I always wondered how they work. You need a very high compression for a Diesel ignition but that compression is too high for petrol. Maybe they are variable compression in some way? On Diesel you go for high compression, no sparks to the plugs and running on petrol, lower the compression and turn on the magnetos?

Craig. 
You're not alone. Here are a few hints...
Richard
'64 S2a

Wittsend

Interesting topic ....

Many people associated with "alternative" fuels have mysteriously disappeared - Starting with Rudolf Diesel himself.

:wikipedia
Look up Tractor Vapourising Oil (TVO) on Wikipedia
Probably just before our time - 602 might remember TVO

When Land Rovers were born (76 years ago today) we had "pool petrol" from WWII days and this had a low octane rating 70 ish.
TVO was about the same.
Then in 1956 we had the Suez crisis and petrol was rationed - Land Rovers had a low compression ratings and could manage quite well on pool petrol. 7:1 CR was actually 6.8:1 CR

E5 or E10 is pure ethanol - absolute alcohol at 99% NOT drinking alcohol at 40% proof  :shakinghead
To determine the percentage of ethanol you can divide the proof number by 2.

there are many claims that IC engines can run on water. Some were good April Fool spoofs, others just "disappeared".
IC engines can run very well on steam injection, but the volume of water consumed is very small compared to the petrol (fuel) used.
NOTE: When the head gasket blows you'll find your engine runs very well with more power - until it seizes up.

Not so long ago there was a fad, a scam to run your engines on coffee jar hydrogen (a small electrolitic cell under the bonnet - £40 off eBay) Needless to say it didn't work, I know, I tried it  :shakinghead

And then you are into the world of fumigation for diesels and nitrous oxide for petrols.

The Wikipedia article hints at how much domestic heating oil you can mix with petrol.
Best to use 2 head gaskets to lower the CR a bit ???

Paraffin is not so easy to find these days.
Boom Boom Boom - Esso Blue

:petrol-pump

Worf

In the 1970's there was a guy (Charles Munson?) near here who demonstrated an petrol engine running on "Munsons Magic Mixture". Water, washing up liquid and a secret ingredient. Both he and his invention soon disappeared. Saw it working, but only ran for a few minutes.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

Wittsend

Another thing to remember is that there's no such thing as perpetual motion and there's no such thing as a free lunch  :shakinghead

Many have tried and failed (disappeared)  ???

We wait for the Doc's fusion powered Time Machine