News:

Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Best Cover for a SWB

Started by chipbury, Jul 10, 2023, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipbury

Morning all,

As my truck sits outside in all weathers, I'm thinking of getting a cover to use when i'm away working.

Any thoughts (pluses/minuses)?

It's got a tilt fitted if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Chris

Richard

There are a few interesting threads on the subject on the old new forum. To quote but my own post:

QuoteI have similar ones, a relatively expensive Stanley auto-storm (which I bought off Marktplaats, sort of eBay) and one from Every Car Covered. The first one seems to last better. There are pros (no bird, spider or tree droppings, virtually no moss), and cons of course (condensation, the "breathing" covers not excepted, a risk of "microblistering" (water included in bad spray jobs may come out as blisters in the paint), and in Land Rover size they are a bit awkward to handle. I had the Disco parked outside for quite a long time, I'm talking months, without a cover and it was covered in dirt and moss. Took me a day to get everything off. I had it parked outside with the cover on and when I took it off months later, I struggled to notice the difference with the day I parked it. Then again, another car covered with a breathable cover showed severe signs of microblistering. I think it can get moldy due to the darkness in the car under a cover. This is more of a problem with the Disco then the Series, I guess. I put a bucket with a salt lick on a tray as a dehumidifier inside, which works wonders.
Richard
'64 S2a

Wittsend

I'm currently using this for the LWT - been under it for over a year and it's stood up to the rigours of winter very well.
I forget the supplier - off eBay, wasn't the cheapest, about £50 ish IIRC.

Searched eBay and found this:-

Car Cover

Pretty sure it's the same type as mine. - Mine is well made, good double stitching on the seems with a soft lining. It has elasticated straps that go underneath to hold the sides together. This cover is way too big for a LWT, but it does reach the ground and covers the tyres.

One thing with any cover is that people tend to cover and forget. It is good practice to remove the cover every often on a good sunny day to let the vehicle "breath". Also not a bad idea to run the engine up to working temperature every so often, and put the battery on a smart charger.

Ian F

Not a great photo, but if your main objective is to keep water out of the cabin, a cheap car hood (Halfords I think) works well. This is all I use.

Ian F

Davidss

I appreciate it is not exactly what you asked for, and they are more expensive, but my eye is taken by the 'garages' marketed by Machine Mart. I have only seen positive comments about them, but MM often offer them as sale items at 'discounted' prices,or VAT Free as they term them.
I'm not sure what size best fits your vehicle.

or

Regards.

chipbury

Thanks for all of the replies - i'll follow up on the cover links above.
I used to have an equivalent to the smaller Machine Mart 'garage' shown above, it came from a supplier in Bridgwater and was a good piece of kit.  Alas I can't go down that route again...
Cheers,
Chris

Mycroft

I bought the Stormforce All Weather cover from carcovers.co.uk. Fits well but lets in water in a downpour  :nixweiss
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III