South Africa CKD registration in the UK

Started by Devonshire, Jul 10, 2023, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devonshire

Hello all - new member. Learnt to drive in my father's series 2 SWB when I was 11, and we still have it forty years later, albeit 'resting' in the shed.

I recently acquired a SIIb Forward Control re-imported from South Africa, built out there as a CKD. I am aware of the lack of factory records to back up construction date, and have a SA registration document which omits build date. I also started reading threads on the old forum last month but am having some trouble accessing them at the moment. A query to Gaydon regarding any build information was of course unsuccessful.

What's the position regarding UK registration without being able to prove build date? Do I have to claim it's rebuilt from parts? Do I have to treat it as a kit car and put it through SVA? We could have the option to register it as an agricultural vehicle since it is to be used as a working vehicle with limited road mileage, but I'd prefer a less restrictive route.

diffwhine

Before you do anything else, you must contact Peter Holden our Vehicle Registration Officer ([email protected]). He will guide you on this one.

As the owner of a Rhodesian CKD Series 2 109 SW currently sitting in South Africa under similar paperwork circumstances, I fear you may have a challenge on your hands, but talk to Peter before you do anything.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Devonshire

Peter Holden

Email arrived
Expect a reply today or tomorrow

Peter