News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Argh! Martha’s Vineyard spotted…

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Sep 22, 2023, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry S

Quote from: GHOBHW on Sep 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 24, 2023, 12:20 PMCan anyone explain why? Be fair, LRs are not common in the US, why there?

from what I've seen, at least mostly, land rovers are seen as a rich persons item. and that area is very rich...
theres North America Overland selling rebuilt series for 100k+
obviously you can buy them a lot cheaper from a person, but still. check the website below, scroll down for what people have paid.

same for the defenders too, see the 2nd link, all 50k and above, some nearing 100k. one even selling for 135k!

https://bringatrailer.com/land-rover/series-88/
https://bringatrailer.com/land-rover/defender-90-nas/

just a different market and appeal over there.

Yes, they are most definitely seen as a status symbol here in the US. I've mentioned this a few times on here. The biggest congregation of Rovers - old and new - are in the wealthier parts of the country.  They are highly sought after by the nouveau riche hipsters.

That doesn't mean everyone who has one here is wealthy though.  In the LR circles I'm associated with here in the US I'm the poor guy.  When I first got Grover it was rumored that the wife and I had either high paying jobs or inherited.  When Grover rolled out of the shop after the refurb those rumors went around agJeep.

I do know more than one doctor, attorney, business owner that purchased a Series and had them shipped to professional restoration shops. I know of a high school kid who's parents had a '65 109 station wagon professionally restored for him as a graduation gift.

And it's quite common for these people to send their Rovers to a mechanic just to have the oil checked.

A couple months ago I had a gent toss an insane amount of money at me trying to buy Grover.  He said he and his wife were building a lake house for weekend getaways and that Grover would be perfect as a runabout on the property.  He thought it was a jeep.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Larry S on Sep 25, 2023, 02:53 AMMoney.

Fair enough, that'd be at the root of why most things happen.