News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Ad for a cool 2A, sad lessons

Started by jkhackney, Oct 19, 2023, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. Likewise, I care little for matching numbers or such a similar mentality. Variations in numbers, as our VRO says, is normal and to be expected.

Where I disagree is in the issue that a number is unimportant. A number (chassis or Vehicle Identification Number) is a vehicle's primary defining identity. Once that is lost, cloned or otherwise misrepresented, the fundamental identity of the vehicle comes into question. If DVLA allocate an ID number to an existing vehicle that does not have one, one has to accept that the vehicle in question has probably been subject to interference by those with less than legal interest. The more we as owners can do to prevent this happening makes life that much more difficult for those with nefarious interest in our vehicles.

Such situations create the inclination (often through desperation) to play with numbers (buying a V5C and plate off eBay is a classic example). In buying such offerings or permitting them to be sold, we are actively encouraging the market in irregularities in our vehicles. All we can do as owners and club members to prevent this has to be good

In short, unless it has its original number, in my view, a vehicle should never be allocated another VIN by DVLA or an agency. Once its identity has become open to question, it should be removed from the register and only fit for parts. One could argue that to prevent the illegal sale of stolen vehicles and their constituent parts, that this should not happen either and such vehicles should be scrapped as a public example. That is an extreme solution, but if we want to prevent identity theft, we as owners need to be more proactive. Not great if you've bought a suspect vehicle I know, but for the wider ownership, all good.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I wrote my last post very aware of nefarious interests.

Clifford Pope

" A number (chassis or Vehicle Identification Number) is a vehicle's primary defining identity. Once that is lost, cloned or otherwise misrepresented, the fundamental identity of the vehicle comes into question."

I might agree with you if you also applied that purist line to a replacement chassis. Why does a brand new  chassis similarly not lose "the fundamental identity of the vehicle"?
Surely a vehicle with a new chassis can be a very good replica of the original vehicle, but it's nonsense to pretend that in some magical way it remains the "same" vehicle.

Rog-from-Bix

Quote from: Clifford Pope on Oct 22, 2023, 04:25 PM" A number (chassis or Vehicle Identification Number) is a vehicle's primary defining identity. Once that is lost, cloned or otherwise misrepresented, the fundamental identity of the vehicle comes into question."

I might agree with you if you also applied that purist line to a replacement chassis. Why does a brand new  chassis similarly not lose "the fundamental identity of the vehicle"?
Surely a vehicle with a new chassis can be a very good replica of the original vehicle, but it's nonsense to pretend that in some magical way it remains the "same" vehicle.

:worms you are opening the can there, where do you draw the line on what is the original vehicle if it only has all the major parts as fitted at the factory? 

Exile

Matching numbers, has never meant identical numbers for the major units.

(I would be extremely suspicious of a vehicle that had identical numbers on its major units).

"Matching numbers" means unit numbers that match a vehicle's date of production, not matching to each other.

Peter Holden

Charles it would b helpful if everyone understood that

Peter

jkhackney

I was just commenting on the naiivete of publishing that your car has a dubious ID, rather than finding someone who's handy with tool #1 and some stamps, or seeing if there are records of replacing the dumbiron, to prove it isn't a fake ID. The publication pre-empts someone else being able to to that, later on, which saps the value of the vehicle by making it non-registerable full stop. The bureaucrats read online ads, too. So my comments aren't about the originaltiy but the ability to ever use it on the road legally.

But considering the prevailing relationship between the law and public contractors in Calabria and Sicily where this bomb squad operated, this whole transaction could have little to do with Land Rovers and instead be a "deal someone couldn't refuse".  :cool

When you get to lefthand-drive Series, matching numbers is difficult, because the prefix says LHD but the other parts have RHD numbers (who builds lefthand drive gearboxes?) So you're looking at stamped dates and rough ranges of serial numbers.

Richard

Quote from: jkhackney on Oct 23, 2023, 09:25 AMBut considering the prevailing relationship between the law and public contractors in Calabria and Sicily where this bomb squad operated, this whole transaction could have little to do with Land Rovers and instead be a "deal someone couldn't refuse".  :cool
You mean to say there's a wise guy connection? O dear. Problem isn't the DVLA refusing to register your Land Rover, it's the Luigis trying to deregister you... :cool
Richard
'64 S2a

Clifford Pope

Quote from: Rog-from-Bix on Oct 22, 2023, 06:33 PM:worms you are opening the can there, where do you draw the line on what is the original vehicle if it only has all the major parts as fitted at the factory? 

Surely the chassis is the only major part?

NoBeardNoTopKnot

My problem's not the number(s) per se. There's clear function for all of that.

It's more the hidebound stereotype that tends to sail with it. Go to any classic-car turn out, and never driven any where else, you'll find the full harvest. Heaven help you get caught with the 'owner'.

Search up 'Old Number One' if you really care. One costly court case later, it kinda' settles the argument for good. Our nasal-voiced brethren got a kicking.

There's literal meaning or... the case also proves: no more than you'll find comfort in trying to go back to your 8YO self. You can't find true joy searching for what your classic was. The real joy is in what your classic is now.

The difference between the two is fundamental, sadly to see the contrast is rare.