News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Workshop

Started by Bigdog, Nov 22, 2023, 07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogDave

Whatever you build will quickly fill up and not be big enough.

Mine is 30ft by 18ft, 12 ft to the eaves. Once you stick a forward control, a crawler tractor, motorbike and a ride on mower in (plus tools like the lathe, shaper, parts washer etc) it's pretty full. I still end up working on the s3 outside in the rain.

Sadly I could extend it but SWMBO is blocking any expansion. I'd go as big as you can as even if it feels bigger than you need another project is bound to present itself at some point.

In the absence of a workshop, hard flat standing becomes the next best thing.

Robin

Quote from: 2286 on Nov 28, 2023, 01:54 PMIn the absence of a workshop, hard flat standing becomes the next best thing.

To be honest, unless it's really cold or wet, I prefer working on the hard standing in front of my workshop.
Much better lighting from all directions rather than messing about with inspection lamps.

However, the fully insulated workshop, with Diesel heaters, is something I wouldn't do without when it's cold and wet outside   :cool

simonbav

I built mine 6m x 4.5m x 2.1m to wall plate. Enough room for a partly dismantled 88 and 109. I have a separate toolshed/workshop 8' x 16' with a heavy bench, vice etc.. I could condense the two with some planning.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

That picture of the roof trusses has reminded me of the commercial garage I used to have access to.

The inspection pit due to its dimensions did not allow me to use my epco floor crane.

So I borrowed a tanker from the resting fleet, clambered up on to the loading catwalk that ran the length of it clutching the chain block and tackle to make use of the roof beams.

simonbav

Quote from: 2286 on Nov 30, 2023, 01:04 PMThat picture of the roof trusses has reminded me of the commercial garage I used to have access to.

The inspection pit due to its dimensions did not allow me to use my epco floor crane.

So I borrowed a tanker from the resting fleet, clambered up on to the loading catwalk that ran the length of it clutching the chain block and tackle to make use of the roof beams.

Nice. I figured on some bracing hawsers if I wanted to suspend a gearbox from them. Not sure I'd risk an engine.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

The roof structure I suspended the chain block from was steel beams.

I did wonder why they had not put a beam trolley to make use of the sky hook.

I used a soft strop to avoid paint/beam damage.

Other useful items included high lift very long trolley jack, probably approaching 6 foot in length.

Latterly a hydraulic transmission jack but I found that to me unstable, the base was not broad enough for its height, it was like one of those drip trolleys found in hospitals.