News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

‘Gentle’ Off-Road Options in Cheshire?

Started by Mefster, Sep 06, 2023, 10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It was circa 2010 when we last travelled the perryfoot route.

IIRC we travelled from buxton, straight on at a roundabout before turning up a small lane on the right hand side.

Initially populated with houses it rose up to become a narrow country lane.  This then turned to a boulder strewn track that summited and then turned around to the right before dropping down to a pinch point in the valley.

That is where we me the series using the capston winch.

The terrain now was very large stone shelves for want of a better work.

As it rose up and turned to the left the stone shelf steps became greater.

They were like treads and rises of a stair case.

It took a long time to pick a path through that the vehicle could manage and that would cause no harm to the land.

The climb plateued on moorland.

The moorland presented at a reasonably major road, that we turned right onto, then a second right down the hill back under a rail bridge to the roundabout that we had gone over to begin the route.

So we went left back towards buxton.

The op said they were considering alternative locations as they were struggling to find routes in cheshire.

Although it was 13+ years ago you can tell it was spectacular hence the recall.

matada34

I live in Stone and would also be interested in this (although not yet as im doing a few repairs!).

I once went driving in the ashbourne direction and found an odd lane although very mild!

Lanes seem very few and far between now, shame they are all wrecked by jacked up vehicles that are only out to ruin the countryside

matada34

Looking at my pics they were around Hartington, biggin and hulme end.
This was 6 years ago though!

That looks like what the locals refer to as dirty lane.

Coming from warslow turn right just prior to hartington.

Level up to 90 degree lefthander then slowly climbs up to the crumbling farm buildings at the top on the left.

There are a couple around hollinsclough.  One is quite tame and the other heavy duty.

Goes between holinsclough rake and edge top road, that is the easier one. 

There is tame one at monsal turn at the pub at the top, then down the hill, turn left over the river and then climb up.  Recall it is gated.

matada34