Hello all - who is running Camac CJ110's or Avon Traction Mileages?

Started by Ed, Jul 14, 2023, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Hi to all, new poster here -
Anyone running either of these tyres or have recent experience of them? Going back to traditional tyres on original 16" 109 rims for the right look as I only pootle about locally in my 68 88".

jkhackney

This may not be a fair assessment. I had a set of 6.00" Traction Mileage on my 86" and they looked great. There was a date of 1971 in permanent marker on the rim, so maybe they were over 50 years old?

They had no wear and no cracks or anything, but were very hard. I didn't feel safe at all above about 40mph on our curvy roads, speed limit is usually 50 though. I was afraid of them breaking traction in a corner or while braking and sending me halfway into a spin then having them grab again and flip me over. Around town or on dirt/gravel/dry grass they were fine. Useless in snow or ice!!

I put on modern radials with a road profile and it transformed the vehicle. It feels like a normal car, now. And I got good siped snow tires for winter. Neither set of tires looks good, though!

martinp

I have run Avon Traction Mileage tyres on my 88in for the last six years - first a set of 6.00 x 16s and then 7.00 x 16s. The 7.00 x 16s have covered thousands of miles in all conditions and I have absolutely no issue with them. They look great, maintain the light steering feel (certainly when compared to a set of Avon Rangemasters I briefly fitted) and I have never felt unsafe with them in the wet. They have 'pootled' around country lanes, driven hundreds of miles at a time on motorways and dual carriageways and covered light-medium off-road duties. Like any tyre, if you fit old 'out of date' rubber, then their performance will be compromised, but if the alignment is right, a new set of ATMs will last for years.   
Editor, Built 2 Last
[email protected]

Mandrake

I've had the same set of Traction Mileages for the last, I believe, 11 years. May be 12. They've done a bit over 15 thousand kilometers and still have plenty of life in them. Sure there's tiny surface cracks, but nothing bad. They've taken a bit of an oilbath over the years.. :D

They are stable, haven't deformed from standing still for up to two years in a row (in a temperate garage) and I'm not replacing them any time soon.

JonB

I ran 6.00 Avon TMs that were new 18 months ago, and I'm very happy with them. The steering is lovely and light and I haven't has any grip issues in the wet, unlike the deestone things that were on it before, that would slide even when braking moderately and would spin the rear wheels on roundabouts like a drift car 🤣🤣

Jon

Landy62

I run multigrip 6:00 16 and they are really nice to drive with and are also correct period I am pretty sure they are the same price as traction mileage they are a slightly softer tyre than traction mileage as well