LHD, North American export, 2a, basic SWB, 2.25 engine paint colour

Started by jwilliams, Apr 18, 2024, 01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilliams

Hi,
I have a 1962 2a, LHD North American export (ordered by Rover, Canada), SWB, 2.25 petrol (CR 7:1). Body colour is Poppy Red. Currently restoring the vehicle and trying to work out what colour the engine would have been painted?

My understanding is that the engines were painted duck egg blue/admiralty grey. However, the paint on my engine block is red and appears to be original. I can't find any other traces of paint on the engine block.

The engine is definitely not a 5 bearing engine. Have heard replacement engines may also have been painted red. Not sure how I'd know if it is a replacement engine, other than colour?

The stamping, font and number of the engine serial number are consistent with the other serial numbers on the vehicle. Sequencing wise, the engine serial number 251 xxxxx-a is very close to that of the gearbox (also 251 xxxxx-a). All the other serial numbers (axles, chassis) for the vehicle are in range 241 xxxxx-a to 244 xxxxx-a. My understanding is that these numbers are consistent with the vehicle spec and build date listed on the heritage certificate.

Can't find anything on this forum so hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks,

diffwhine

Welcome!

First of all, I think you are correct on the engine colours or at least what we think they should be. The Series 2 "151" engines were the same grey as late Series One engines, so I think its more likely that yours should be the 2A Blue described by this supplier:
https://paintman.co.uk/shop/land-rover-series-2-2a-engine-blue/

How it got to be red is anybody's guess as I'm not aware of any early engines being that colour. It is possible that your engine was removed and professionally refurbished locally at some point in its life. If that's the case, the block may well have been acid dipped and that engine remanufacturer's standard rebuild colour was a red one.

As you say, all the numbers appear to be in similar runs, so its likely that it is the original engine or at the very least a period correct replacement.

Lets have some pictures... We like pictures we do. We can cope with pictures... We understand pictures...  :cheers-man
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

jwilliams

Thanks 'diffwhine', you may have hit the nail on the head as the vehicle has been 'vandalised' :'(  in the form of a professional looking (but older) paint job, with a rather odd colour scheme. The body is some sort of Chevy maroon, whilst the inside of the cab and wheels are a dark grey so the 'vandal' might well have painted the engine red at the same time. If so, I guess there's no accounting for taste...   

I'd love to try and strip the paint off and just leave the patina exposed. The Poppy Red comes through on the inside panels but the outer ones look suspiciously as if they've been stripped back to bare metal before new paint was applied and I'm not sure I want to go to the expense of finding out just yet.

The vehicle was driven daily up to four years ago when I parked her up with the intention of just tidying up a few bits. It was supposed to a rolling restoration but life got in the way and now it's more a static exhibit. Well almost static; it's amazing how some bits still drip oil onto the floor four years later, even allowing for Canadian winters. It's definitely time to get her back on the road again.

I'll post some pictures over the weekend even though she's not a pretty sight at present!

Newbie question, my apologies if I should be posting this bit on a separate thread, but regarding pictures, I see elsewhere on the forum there is an article about posting from a "coppermine gallery" image. Can I post an image from my pc or do I have to go via Coppermine? Is there a recommended size since the insert picture button asks for an optional width and height?

Dopey

island dormy

My 62 Dormobile engine was a light grey color with a large 7:1 spray painted by stencil on the left side. Totally original as my dad bought it in 1964 with 2000 miles on it straight from Africa.

It was specked to come to Canada  (Calgary), after its safari as it had a Kodiak heater and a block heater.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

diffwhine

Quote from: jwilliams on Apr 19, 2024, 11:32 PMNewbie question, my apologies if I should be posting this bit on a separate thread, but regarding pictures, I see elsewhere on the forum there is an article about posting from a "coppermine gallery" image. Can I post an image from my pc or do I have to go via Coppermine? Is there a recommended size since the insert picture button asks for an optional width and height?

If you select "Reply" rather than using the "Quick Reply" function at the bottom of the page, you can drag and drop or insert images into your posts. Try to keep them below 1Mb if possible. Makes it easier for people in parts of the world who have slower internet. Coppermine works well for long term hosting, but if you just want to bung a picture in a post, its much easier to do as above.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

TimV

The pictures I took of an NAS spec vehicle I've seen with pcv valve and Kodiak heater unfortunately do not show the engine colour, other than to say a dark colour.

jeichhorst

I have a 1967 LHD N American export 2a SWB that apparently came brand new to Vancouver for the Ministry of Forestry. It currently has a dark blue block with a gold colored head!!!. However if you scratch the paint off it does appear to have been the duck egg colour.

jwilliams

Small world, jeichorst, I'm just down the road from you, in Estevan. I'm in Regina fairly often if you're up for a coffee and tire kicking session.

My Landie has a freaklishly similar history. It was ordered new by the Forest Service, British Columbia in 1962 (don't know if that's the same as the Ministry but guess they reported to the Minisry of Forestry). Built in the UK and imported through Rover Canada in Vancouver. Usual extras fitted by the dealer: Kodiak Mk 3 heater, block heater and a Koenig PTO King Winch L621.

At some stage the Solex carb was replaced with a 1950 Rochester B, single barrel unit. I believe this was a common mod at the time to cope with the colder winters.

The previous owner fitted a Roamerdrive and a softtop. Thankfully they kept all the drive shafts/linkages for the winch along with the original hardtop and included them in the sale.

Evidently the folks in BC went through a phase of funky engine colours! Don't know if they auctioned a lot off in one go, or the similar histories are just chance. I'm told mine was sold off in BC, by the Forest Service and worked it's way to SK via three owners.

jwilliams

Some pictures of the engine and non-original paint scheme:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.