News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

Parabolic springs

Started by Bigdog, Aug 29, 2023, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenAnderson

The biggest issue with parabolic springs is finding a compromise between unladen ride, and load capacity. I have four-leaf ones on the back of my 109", two-leaf ones on the front; they're OK, and the vehicle rides pretty well with a bit of weight in the back. If it's completely empty though, the ride is quite harsh. I have a station-wagon style roof, with alpine lights and a safari skin, as well as windows in the hardtop sides, so I'm already a good bit heavier than a rag top or truck cab; if I had one of those I'd advise sticking with standard springs.

Having tried pretty much all the options now, I think that the best option for the rear of a 109" that doesn't spend nearly all of its time loaded, are the station-wagon ones that have the two-stages, with helper leaves that only come into use when they're needed.

If it helps, I don't think I will be replacing the parabolics with the same style when the time comes for new ones; not unless good quality standard spec ones are impossible to find.

Bigdog

Bigdog

It's been in my workshop for about a year and hasn't moved, I have been doing it up gradually

Wittsend

Well, they don't look too bad to me - I've seen a lot worse.
They still have some "bow" in them and rust doesn't seem to be forcing the leaves apart.

You could just wire brush them down and try regular treatments of diesel/sump oil. Letting it soak in-between the leaves. Then when back on the road it just needs road miles and some axle flexing to work the leaves. They will probably be just fine.

Or

You could remove each spring and dismantle the pack and dress up each leaf, removing any rust and then re-assemble them with lots of graphite grease.
A dirty, nasty job, but very rewarding and the springs often turn out like new.

I'm not expert enough to tell if what you have are "heavy duty" or standard springs. You have to count the number of leaves. Someone will know.

:RHD

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I agree. Take them apart if you're inclined, more so if use will be limited, grease them and wrap in Denso. Else, drive it.  Once moving, a set of springs in regular use won't need grease. There will be a small trace of dust-rust which starts 1-2 inches from the shackles, albeit for some reason the top one, that will show no movement for 3-4 inches.