News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Wide track valuation

Started by Bigdog, Sep 25, 2023, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Could someone please give me an indication on what this Sankey wide track might be worth, many thanks

Bigdog

Bigdog

Wittsend

You're looking towards £500 ish.

They are slightly more desirable than the narrow track early versions.

From my/our armchairs it's hard to be more definitive.....

:snowman

w3526602

Hi Both,

Speaking for myself, the biggest deterent to buying another Sankey, is the need for a NATO pintle. Maybe there IS another solution. ???

OK, there WAS another solution. I converted my rusted out narrow Sankey to a 50mm ball-hitch, but it meant removing the original coupling, and brakes, but as everything was rusted solid, and had been towed in that state, it was no great loss.

I made an extension bar that fitted under the Sankey trailer, and carried a solid 50mm hitch. The lack of brakes then meant the trailer was restricted to 750kg. MGW.

My local weighbridge ... in the street weighed the resulting unbraked and wooden tubbed trailer at circa 400kg, so I restricted my loads to 250kg, to be on the safe side, which meant weighing every article on Barbara's bathroom scales.

The trailer cost me £60, did what I wanted it to do, then sold it for £100.

IF I was going to buy another Sankey, I would look into machining the ring down to a round bar, and drilling two through holes, so a simple 50mm hitch could be fitted. I did not investigate the cost of machining the ring. I'm guessing a new, hi-quality saw blade would be needed, one for each cut through the ring, and guestimate an hour for each cut. Each to his own!

Would a wide Sankey be permitted to tow the MGW of a laden wide Sankey? Asking, coz I don't know.

Bigdog

I find it difficult to find a really nice one for £500, this one is seemingly in very very good condition and it's about £700

autorover1

One Drum braked wide track I purchased had a standard Bradley  hitch with a detachable NATO eye which was easily changed to the 50mm ball cup with just two bolts in the drawbar tube. Everything else stayed the same . Cost me about £30 about 15 yrs ago.

Bigdog

I might get one that's needing done up that way I will know exactly what's been done and no nasty surprises waiting for me, think I will try and restore one back to original, are parts still available, thanks

UXC1967

There used to be a good group on Facebook for Sankeys, plenty of info and help, sorry haven't got a link no longer on Facebook.

Bigdog

Can you still get spares for the stankey trailers

Bigdog

Bigdog

Am I better paying £200 on one that needs work doing to it or £700"for one that's ready to use

Exile

You would be better off joining this FB group, and asking your questions there.

There may also be trailers for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1575982179297299