News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Bigdog, Oct 10, 2023, 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Any recommendations for tyres, mainly on road but occasionally off road, my old ones are 7.50 x 16, thanks

GHOBHW

the michelin latitude cross is a good on road off-road tyre, you can get it in 7.50 16, usually fitted to defenders, so you can find them around still, or just buy new.

or the michelin XZL is another good choice. probably one of the better tyres for land rovers these days.

Alan Drover

Are your rims for tubed or tubeless tyres? If Series rims they're almost certainly be for tubed tyres.There's not too much choice in tubed but plenty in tubeless.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

gcc130

Michelin XZL can be run either tubed or tubeless, or look for a set of Defender tubeless rims.

N

Another vote for Michelin Latitude Cross. Best tyres I've ever used on any Land Rover. Transformed my series. I have 235/85r16 on wolf rims, but as GHOBHW says, they also make them 7.50r16 and they can be used with tubes.

autorover1

Michelin used to state their tubeless tyres could be run with tubes, but I am not sure it is still the case .

Old80

BFG KO2 235/85 R16 with tubes on 6.5" series rims a bit pricey but a great all terrain tyre.

Alan Drover

I wouldn't use tubes in tubeless tyres for safety reasons and if there were an accident and it was found out any insurance claim would likely be invalidated.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

JReid

Michelin ZXL, running on mine, good alround tyre- no problems

N

Quote from: Alan Drover on Oct 11, 2023, 08:47 PMI wouldn't use tubes in tubeless tyres for safety reasons and if there were an accident and it was found out any insurance claim would likely be invalidated.

In general I would agree, however when was buying my tyres I enquired directly with Michelin about putting tubes in their Latitude Cross 7.50 and their technical department responded that I could.

I ended up going tubeless anyway, but my earlier comment stands.

If anyone cares I can post the email I got from them on here.

autorover1

I was told by both Michelin and Land Rover Engineers that one must fit tubes in radial tyres fitted to the old Land Rover well base wheels that are not designed for tubeless operation ( No humps to prevent the tyre pulling off the bead area under high cornering loads ). I also had the same instruction from Avon when I fitted their radial tyres , only available as tubeless, to my Rover P4.  To add to that, I think some confusion arises as I was also advised by all parties that tubes should never be fitted  in tyres fitted to tubeless wheels as the high inflation pressures  needed to seat the bead over the humps can weaken the tube by stretching, as the tyre jumps over .

M
Quote from: Old80 on Oct 11, 2023, 08:28 PMBFG KO2 235/85 R16 with tubes on 6.5" series rims a bit pricey but a great all terrain tyre.

Michelin acquired bf goodrich and uniroyal some years ago.