News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Changing bulbs - When did that happen?

Started by w3526602, Oct 24, 2023, 06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Hywel

Big rear plate has long history for Rovers.

w3526602

Hi,

Q. What should you do when your lamps go dim on steep hills?

A. Top up the acetylene

Quote from: w3526602 on Oct 25, 2023, 11:51 AMHi,

Q. What should you do when your lamps go dim on steep hills?

A. Top up the acetylene

Or check water level.

Or if using a sturmey dynohub pedal faster.

Theshed

[/quote]
Quote from: gatekrash on Oct 25, 2023, 10:37 AMApparently Skoda told us this is due to an EU regulation on Construction which now states that headlight bulbs need to be changeable at the side of the road, although I've googled and can't find anything.

That would be nice. But it could be a while before that model year trickles down to me ?

Wittsend

Which brings us neatly round to :-

diffwhine

Quote from: 2286 on Oct 25, 2023, 11:02 AMMy lasting memory of the rover 75 was the enormous oversize rear number plate, where were they made up dw?

You can order them from most plate suppliers. Some Jaguars used them as well.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Quote from: gatekrash on Oct 25, 2023, 10:37 AMApparently Skoda told us this is due to an EU regulation on Construction which now states that headlight bulbs need to be changeable at the side of the road, although I've googled and can't find anything.

That would be nice. But it could be a while before that model year trickles down to me ?
[/quote]

Without stoking the fire, eu regs would not be binding on uk having left the union.

dw is that the mondeo based jag that followed on from the xj

diffwhine

XJs and X Types - the oversize plates are more common than you may think. Plenty of Range Rovers carry ovetsize oblong plates.

Theshed

Quote from: 2286 on Oct 26, 2023, 11:02 AM

Without stoking the fire, eu regs would not be binding on uk having left the union.

dw is that the mondeo based jag that followed on from the xj
[/quote]
I think it was the S Type that had oversize rear plates the X Type had standard plates.
The X Type had Mondeo underpinnings . The Mondeo was a great handling car, as was the X Type.
Jag' once again where ahead of the times. No-one bats an eye lid now that Audi, Vw, Skoda etc all share parts. As do many other manufacturers.

diffwhine

Richard

And 420 after that...
Richard
'64 S2a

Peter Holden

A bit late to the party but it is my understanding that the french police will no longer insist that the faulty headlamp bulb is replaced at th side of the road.  This follows on from on particular incarnation of the renault Megane (Renault part state owner) where half the front of the car needed to be dismantled to change the bulb.  The police would routinely turn out the local Renault garage to do "the roadside fix" which actually meant recovery to the garage.  Most inconvenient and expensive for the garage as the time you discover your headlamp is out is usually very antisocial.  (I believe the garages were not allowed to charge for the labour for this roadside fix.

It is another of those quirky french rules like the need to carry a breathaliser that has been kicked into the long grass

Peter

I have been told a couple of things about the french and their relationship with cars.

Firstly historically they buy french originated cars, not sure if they are patriotic or if pricing is skewed to increase appeal.

Secondly that they consider cars as a simple mode of conveyance and own them for long periods preferring to spend their money on other priorities, climate and lake of salt gives them a long life, the vehicle that is.

Beowulf

Quote from: Ben2a on Oct 24, 2023, 06:44 PMHaha what are he chances I thought a side light had gone on the way home from work today in my 88", took the lens off wiggle the bulb, and now works  :cheers
The problem might reappear when, after wiggling the bulb and getting it to work again, you then drive over a bump in the road, and it stops working again.
A solution I have used was to push a small piece of rubber in between the glass of the bulb and the reflective surround, keeping it snuggly in place   :cheers-man
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Theshed