News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

Bulkhead Cavity Wax

Started by stevesharpe, Nov 11, 2023, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevesharpe

Hi
My bulkheads seem to be in good condition and would like to keep it that way.

Can someone give any guidance on how and where to inject any anti-corrosion wax? Should I be drilling holes or are there access points already?
I also assume that drainage from the bulkhead is one of the major cause of corrosion -- should there be drain holes somewhere?
Any guidance is much appreciated
Thanks
Steve

gcc130

Not sure on series, but on Defender bulkheads there is a drain hole in the bottom of pillar and I can get my flexible wax lance all the way up inside the pillar to the waist curve.
Again on defenders I then inject through the wiper shaft holes, obviously you cannot do this if you have pre '65 individual wiper motors.

Worf

I had the bulkhead off for repairs so turned it upside down to inject it. Mix  with a bit of white spirit and block any holes and slosh it about. After 5 years on a very hot day I still got a little pool on the dash below the vents.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

chughes5

also

door hinges

little rubber buffer things that stop the bonnet hitting the bulkhead

Gareth

The thing that caused most rot on mine was mud building up in the bottom of the door posts. There is a drain slot at the bottom, which needs to be kept clear, especially if you go off road. Like previously said, it's a good point to get right up the door post with an injection probe.

I bought a Sealey air operated wax injection kit. About £70. Works very well. You need a compressor though.

The top corners are accessible from in the engine bay, very easy if the wings are off. As said, wiper holes, bump stop holes door hinges etc all provide access.

Most important thing is to keep mud from building up. Another spot to watch is where the underwing splash guards bolt to the footwell. Huge mud collection spot especially on the drivers side where steering and pedal boxes restrict access. I modified mine by putting long bolts and nuts into the footwell and tightening. Then putting a half inch spacer on the bolt tail, then attach the splash guard to it with a nut and washer. It creates a gap for water and mud to fall out of.