News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Spare wheel mount

Started by Bigdog, Nov 11, 2023, 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Trying to find out what would the correct spare wheel mount for my 1970 series 2a 109 ex military would be, is it straps, bolts etc, any help would be much appreciated, this is a picture of my bonnet and maybe you can make out what might have Been on it before, or is the second picture anything to do with it maybe being mounted in the rear tub, thanks

diffwhine

That bonnet doesn't look like it was drilled for the strap system, so it looks like it has the conventional civilian system. That assumes of course that it is the original spec bonnet.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

What would the civilian spec be, thanks

Bigdog

diffwhine

It should show all the details in either the main parts catalogue or in the optional parts catalogue.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

Here is a more clearer picture, does anyone know what might fit for my spare wheel, thanks

GHOBHW

autorover1

Seems odd to mention Series & Defender in the header for this , as the position on the door is different , and then goes on to say 1983 to 2002 ie   110/90

Craig T

The Craddocks carrier linked above will fit a series rear door fine.

The doors changed very little over the years until the one piece, steel door with the glass held in with a rubber seal came along with the last of the Defenders.

The only difference with the 90 / 110 carriers and the series carriers is the series carrier had short studs so the wheel mounted on the door in reverse, the dirty oily inside of the rim faces the outside.

The 90 / 110 carriers had longer studs so the shiny outside face of the wheel was seen from behind.

With the increase in stud length, they also made the plate that mounts on the outside of the door into a rectangle rather than the small square plate on the series models.

Craig.

So what are the parts on the tub bulkhead for?

The centre bracket on the rib is akin to where spare goes on swb, but the the anchor point similar to those used on airportable bonnet look a little close to accommodate a wheel.

island dormy

The limestone Dormobile has a new defender rear door, the mounting bracket for the spare wheel is more to the right hand side so you could actually reach behind a 7.50x16 to access the door handle and lock.
 The strengthening brackets in side the door are simply moved to the right

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Uffddd

Quote from: Bigdog on Nov 11, 2023, 09:38 PMHere is a more clearer picture, does anyone know what might fit for my spare wheel, thanks

My Rover 9 has a similar plate bolted to the bonnet for the spare wheel. Fairly sure it's not original but it has three large bolts posted from the other side of the bonnet with the heads welded in place to keep them there.

Island Dormy what are those fitted at window level on the rear of each vehicle.

They look like air deflectors that are typically fitted to european and uk trucks?

island dormy

Sorry to Big Dog we have kind of gotten off topic again. To me the bracket on your hood does look like a bracket off a rear door, likely the later defender style which seems much sturdier, it should work just fine? You will need to add 4 rubber blocks to keep the tire from rubbing on the aluminum of the bonnet.
  Was it original? I dont know much about the military style bonnets, to me it looks like a civilian style.

Hi 2286.............Air brakes, no they are air deflectors their purpose was to deflect dust, snow and exhaust fumes off the rear door area. They were a 1960's option, the only landrover I have ever seen with them was my dads 1962. I built the second pair at work, I just like the way they look. However they dont work as dust deflectors at all, we tried them in every position possibile on the dusty back country gravel prairie roads in rural Alberta.
Buy they work great as towel holders when we are out camping.

Victor

1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

22900013A

The spare should be on the bonnet, using a rear door type carrier - this was standard on military 109"s until the early 70s when it changed to the strap system. The same bonnet and mount was used on 1 Tons for 9.00x16 tyres.
The bracket behind the cab is most likely a previous owner modification. On civilian 109"s the standard spare wheel mount was in a well in the seat box, which was not specified on military vehicles.