News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

New wheels or spacers

Started by Truckcab, Nov 16, 2023, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truckcab

Hi Forum members,

I'm not a massive fan of how inset the original wheels on my series 2 sit and was looking for some advice on better filling the arches.
I've seen lots of old land rovers with wheels that sit level with the arches and was wondering if the aftermarket wheels have a different offset, or is this achieved with wheel spacers?

If it's offset, I like the wolf style wheels, what offset/manufacturer would be the right ones to go for?

Phil2014

Fitting the wider 5.5" rims fill the arches better in my opinion, that's what I have on my 88.
Borders area rep.

Truckcab

That looks lots better, just what I'm after.

Could I ask which manufacturer you purchased them from?

Phil2014

They were fitted to 109 and 110/defenders etc, I think you can still buy them new, but I got these secondhand off eBay, I'm sure someone will be along soon that can confirm part numbers for you or even have a set for sale.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Robin

Defender 130 rims are wider, with more offset to the outside.

Here's a set on one of our Carawagons, with 7.50 XZY tyres, in the Sahara a few years ago.

265 radials would make them a little wider as well.

Robin.

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Oddjob

Standard rims on left. 130 rims with 30mm spacers and 750 xzls on the right.
 :cheers-man

autorover1

Quote from: Phil2014 on Nov 16, 2023, 04:30 PMThey were fitted to 109 and 110/defenders etc, I think you can still buy them new, but I got these secondhand off eBay, I'm sure someone will be along soon that can confirm part numbers for you or even have a set for sale.
Phil.
I used 569690  5.5" wide ones on my 88" S3 with 750 x 16 tyres . The early One Ten had the same size wheel , different part number NRC7578, as it is stronger . I think 569690 has  been superseded  by NRC7578 now according to Craddocks site

Peter Holden

Dont pay a lot of money for them folk almost give them away

Peter

Jeff

You might find them advertised as Defender steel wheels.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

GlenAnderson

Lots of variations on wheels.

Standard SWB rims are both narrow, and quite high offset, so they do sit well inside the arches.

Series 2 LWB rims are wider, but have all the extra width to the inside of the rim, so look similar from the outside.

Series 3 LWB rims are probably the cheapest way of getting lower offset rims, as they are the same width as the earlier LWB ones, but have that extra width on the outer side, decreasing the offset and bringing the tyre closer to the arch. As has been mentioned, these are often available really cheaply; although it's worth remebering that the cost of refurbishing them properly can mount up.

Defender rims are usually similar profile to the Series 3 ones, and have the advantage of being available in tubeless flavour, which is something that might be important to you (it is to me). You may have to hunt around a bit more for these, or buy a set new.

The 130 rims are almost zero offset, and look great IMHO, but they are eye-wateringly dear these days.

Wolf wheels are what I have fitted. 6.5J, so they are ideally sized for tubeless 235/85 tyres, and again almost zero offset so they bring the tyres almost compeletely in line with the outer panels. They have thicker centres though, so you really need longer wheel studs to use them, and this adds a layer of cost and aggro to the job that varies from just having to buy and swap 20 studs, to having to machine hubs as well as buying studs and nuts, depending on your starting point.

Wittsend

Whilst there are such things as spacers they are not commonly used on Series 2s, more to help with disc conversions. Most owners go for the LWB rim (or bigger).

:RHD

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Wittsend on Nov 17, 2023, 01:20 PMWhilst there are such things as spacers they are not commonly used on Series 2s, more to help with disc conversions. Most owners go for the LWB rim (or bigger).

Exactly.

Spacers are out there, but they are almost always as expensive, or more so, than getting alternative wheels.

John

If you dont mind a non original look then Discovery 1 steel wheels fit, tubeless, 7" wide, and I looked around and got mine at £5 each but for some not the right look ???
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Alan Drover

Paddock sell Defender 110 steel wheels for tubeless tyres for just over £106 each including VAT and delivery. Club members get a discount.
This might be your best bet and cheaper than the modifications required to fit Wolf wheels (which IMHO, are the best).
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"