News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Bigdog, Nov 21, 2023, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

I know I have asked a similar question but would 235/70/16 be a good replacement size wise for replacing my 7.50 x 16 tyres on a 1970 series 2a 109, thanks

Alan Drover

235/85 is the metric equivalent and more suitable.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

So no use then

Bigdog

I will try and find 7.50 x 16, thanks

Alan Drover

Have a look at the replies to your previous tyre query on page 3 of General Discussion. All the answers are there.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi,

A LWB on 205s looks "emasculated". The 80% ratio only makes matters worse. You engine will scream, and your speedo read fast

I don't know if there are legal (SWL, etc) constraints?

Can anyone here say what MGW is embossed on the side-walls of both 205s and 235s? 

I think the 205s will do about a 15% more TPM (Turns per mile) than the 235s.

Check the relevant MGW of the tyres. I suspect the SWB tyres will not carry as much the LWB tyres. If I was standing on the roadside, wearing a brown or white frock-coat, with a conveniently placed mobile weigh-bridge, your Dinky tyres would stand out like a sore thumb.

Question. IF Series Land Rovers had VIN plates, would fitting smaller tyres cause a conflict of interests.

The ratio between engine RPM and speedometer reading will not change, but the car will feel livelier, despite it actually travelling slower.

You should change the speedo head. The TPM of the speedo drive is writ, very small, on the face of the clock. Can anybody here tells the TPM of both SWB and LWB speedos? Who knows, you may be driving on the wrong speedo, which will become right when you change your tyres.

Your prop-shaft will be turning faster, which might accentuate any vibration due to worn UJs. Check for wear in the UJs. If worn, it will be better to change at the next convenient time, than during a holiday in in Costa del Sol.

John

Perhaps a OT thought but would not 205's give lighter steering than 235 or 750's, with 235's needing most effort when parking.

Some of us seem to chose tyres by looks rather than how they suit what we use the Land Rover for....
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum