News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

OT internet speed or options

Started by John, Nov 29, 2023, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

My internet/land line/mobiles are all with EE but not the high speed fibre optic.
My computer seems slow to me and I asked about switching to fibre optic as the fibre optic manhole is outside and 30' from my inside router, where my coper cable is joined in to what seems to be the fibre cable and BT have removed all the other copper cables.
EE tell me I can have fibre internet but only without a land line, but our mobile phone signal is poor/non in some areas of the house so a problem. EE say that in the future, could be years, I can again have a land line and fibre internet. Is this the case else where?
All of which is not ideal, are EE telling porkers and would other companies give me fibre and land line, although to get the best price I need to change mobiles/Land Line and internet to the other company

Sorry for a OT question but as you can see I'm no internet expert
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Birdsnest55

We have very poor mobile connection, do you have option to use Wifi calling on your mobiles.
All companies are going away from Fixed wire land lines and are going to Voip (Voice over IP)
So going forward if you have fibre to your house for internet, the "landline" can be fed over the IP connection.
Saying this if the internet connection goes down you have no connection to the outside world.
Hope this makes sense.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

jonhutchings

The copper analogue phone system is being decommissioned, will be switched off Dec 2025 (at least that was the last I heard). All land lines are being transitioned to digital. What this actually means is connection a phone to your broadband (using VoIP technology).

You can do this yourself if your provider doesn't want to offer the service, buy a VoIP adapter, plug your phone into that, plug the adapter into your router and subscribe to one of the many VoIP /SIP providers. However.... We did exactly this and found the quality of the service was frankly rubbish, sometimes not being able to make calls, noisy lines, strange beeps etc.  In the end we paid more money and our Broadband provider gave us the service - ironically the adapter they sent was the same model as the one we had bought, proving that it's the configuration they push down that helps (as well as the number of real lines they have etc.)

If you hang on to your land line, eventually your land line provide will by law have to resolve this for you. BT have already started with this, several alertly relatives who don't own computers now have a broadband router (at no cost) just to provide their phone line.

John

At the moment , just checked, my internet is Download 12.7 and upload 5.9 :confused
so perhaps my laptop is just old and slow

grandadrob

I use Plusnet Fibre at about £28pm.    We are down a country lane, about half a mile from the fibre box.  I am guaranteed about 60 download, usually it stays about that speed. Not sure how that helps, but might give a comparison.

Wittsend

Just checked my broadband speed - 19 Mbps up, 12 Mbps down.
My internet flys - don't seem to have a problem with speed - I can watch TV & films online OK.

I'm with BT with a BTHub6 (I believe they have a better router now).
My contract is nearly up and I'll be searching for a cheaper and better deal.
That said the BT has never let us down. I don't need a landline.

What do your neighbours get ??? who do they use ???
Rather than go knocking on doors, you can ask via your community Facebook Group page (if you have one).

What PC do you have ? how old is it ?

:geek

John

Quote from: Wittsend on Nov 29, 2023, 04:50 PMJust checked my broadband speed - 19 Mbps up, 12 Mbps down.
My internet flys - don't seem to have a problem with speed - I can watch TV & films online OK.

I'm with BT with a BTHub6 (I believe they have a better router now).
My contract is nearly up and I'll be searching for a cheaper and better deal.
That said the BT has never let us down. I don't need a landline.

What do your neighbours get ??? who do they use ???
Rather than go knocking on doors, you can ask via your community Facebook Group page (if you have one).

What PC do you have ? how old is it ?

:geek

No facebook group :confused , never heard of such things
1 neighbour no internet
1 has fibre but no idea of speed
1 laptop 12 years old
my Lap Top is about 8 years old, a Toshiba Satellite 8 years old?
our router is a EE smart hub, no idea of model

I supose its time for 2 new lap tops :'(

Ken

Out here we are 1 mile from a village with fibre. Our connection is via a roundabout route ( 1/12 miles) of ancient copper part strung over poles, part buried and constantly exposed to salt (sea a couple of miles away). Fibre runs all the way round us, we are in the centre of a 1 mile radius of it. It extends half a mile towards us along our lane to the manor house of a titled person but doesn't come the half mile onward to us where it would pick us up and go on to 7 other properties. Open reach are demanding £10 to £16k to connect fibre which has been provided free to everyone else. Our line speed is 2.6 max download.
In recent weeks BT has wrecked my e mail service and doesn't know how to fix it ( their admission)
We are on an analogue system shortly to be converted to digital, a nearby business was converted a couple of weeks ago to digital and everything failed. Openreach demanded £16k to replace their 1 mile of copper. They have in desperation gone to Starlink, expensive and with rubbish reviews.
My BT,(therefore EE mobile)doesn't work at all, no signal.
We can also look forward to what little we have  failing when digitised presumably. The best thing of the lot is that we pay the same each month for this crap as those in the nearby village with a speed of 70 !
Whatever anyone else has I seriously doubt it's worse, surely it can't be.
I hope you have better options than here, what a country !!!

Wittsend

Move .... our house is up for sale!

:snowman

Dormy

Quote from: John on Nov 29, 2023, 05:39 PMNo facebook group :confused , never heard of such things
1 neighbour no internet
1 laptop 12 years old

If you go on one of the 'How fast is my Broadband?' test websites, they can show average speeds for your area that others are receiving. If yours is significantly slower then, before spending money, get a friend who has a newer laptop to try it on your WiFi. If theirs drags same as yours you may be stuck. However, if theirs zips along, then maybe new laptop time.

HTH
Dormy
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Oilyrag921

I also have a Toshiba sattlite, had it since 2015 but always been excellent. They must be good machines.

Birdsnest55

One test to try, plug an ethernet cable into the hub and directly into your PC.
Do a speed test.
That will prove if the issue is WiFi or not.
Older WiFi is not as stable as newer, it is also susceptible to interference slowing it down.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

John

Quote from: Birdsnest55 on Nov 29, 2023, 06:27 PMOne test to try, plug an ethernet cable into the hub and directly into your PC.
Do a speed test.
That will prove if the issue is WiFi or not.
Older WiFi is not as stable as newer, it is also susceptible to interference slowing it down.

Paul

I always have the laptop hard wired in to the hub but unpluged it and got about the same numbers, so perhaps the problem is both laptops :shakinghead

John

Quote from: Dormy on Nov 29, 2023, 06:21 PM
Quote from: John on Nov 29, 2023, 05:39 PMNo facebook group :confused , never heard of such things
1 neighbour no internet
1 laptop 12 years old

If you go on one of the 'How fast is my Broadband?' test websites, they can show average speeds for your area that others are receiving. If yours is significantly slower then, before spending money, get a friend who has a newer laptop to try it on your WiFi. If theirs drags same as yours you may be stuck. However, if theirs zips along, then maybe new laptop time.

HTH
Dormy
Not able to find the how fast site, but a neigbour who has upgraded to BT fibre found it no better than before so thinks its has old laptop but not prepared to buy a new one

John

Quote from: Wittsend on Nov 29, 2023, 05:58 PMMove .... our house is up for sale!

:snowman
not my house, I plan to die here unless my numbers come up on Lotto :flasher