News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Printed 2 Last !

Started by Theshed, Jan 02, 2024, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theshed

By strange coincidence, after reading the article in Built2Last featuring Ross Floyd I was doing some shed sorting and came across a stack of Series 2 Club mag's.
Starting with my first from June 1990 ! Along with a couple of handwritten letters, one from Gordon Lord in reply to a question about converting my 109 to Diesel and another I think, judging by the signature, from Ross himself giving advice.
Quite amusing to read some of the letters and of course the Ad's. 😁
Most are in reasonable condition, so before I consign them to the recycling would they be of interest to anyone ?
I also uncovered a pile of RangeRover Register magazines if that is anyone's penchant ?

TimV

A nearly complete set is on the website, however some of the information has been redacted - especially the 'register' information.

The Autumn 1995 has the 1958 register - redacted. I don't know if 58Paul might find it of interest?

Bloke

Be a shame to chuck them really - they're piece of our history  :hinges
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Theshed

Quote from: Bloke on Jan 03, 2024, 01:10 PMBe a shame to chuck them really - they're piece of our history  :hinges

Yea, totally agree but I don't have the ability or space to keep them in any sort of reasonable condition. A couple have succumbed to damp so I think any need to be saved before they meet the same fate.
I may just keep some of the early ones, and of course the letters. From a time before Email was common and word processors where a rarity.

Beowulf

Does the club have a physical archive where this kind of thing could be held, or are we now fully reliant on digital?
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

dkenner

Quote from: TimV on Jan 03, 2024, 01:05 PMA nearly complete set is on the website, however some of the information has been redacted - especially the 'register' information.

Why would information be redacted?
---------
1950, 51, 52, 62, 76

diffwhine

Quote from: dkenner on Jan 04, 2024, 03:41 AM
Quote from: TimV on Jan 03, 2024, 01:05 PMA nearly complete set is on the website, however some of the information has been redacted - especially the 'register' information.

Why would information be redacted?

I'm guessing here, but it's probably personal information which is protected by GDPR rules.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

The club does NOT have a document archive.

WE have no offices or place to store such material.
All our documents are stored virtually online.

Various members will have copies of documents - such as issues of B2L in their personal "collections".

In the past, way before privacy and GDPR Laws etc. Some vehicle registration and owner information was published in B2L. In theory you could put a name and address to a vehicle registration number. I think we have redacted that info. But once such info gets into the wild there's nothing we can do no matter how the data subject complains.

The decision was taken not to hold and publish vehicle registers, there have been several versions in the past, which tie a vehicle to a registration number and to a name and address. 

dkenner

Quote from: diffwhine on Jan 04, 2024, 08:18 AMI'm guessing here, but it's probably personal information which is protected by GDPR rules.

Just being pedantic here.  GDPR was adopted in 2016 to be effective in 2018.  As an example for this discussion, the B2L issue in question is from 1995.  GDPR is retroactive?  Second, with Brexit, GDPR no longer applies, it would be the DPA. Is the DPA retroactive?  All I am suggesting is that while we can have a philosophical discussion on what could be published today, there would not be provisions to comb libraries and archives to cleanse the past. I believe that there is no need to redact anything.  From my standpoint, I am just curious to the rules over there as compared to over here.

Regards,
Dixon
---------
1950, 51, 52, 62, 76

diffwhine

What ever you call it, the issue I think relates to data protection. As a club it is prudent to err on the side of caution. Gone are the days of listing club members names, addresses and vehicle details in the public domain.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

dkenner

While I agree that it relates to data protection, erring on this type of caution leads down a road to self censorship and emptying repositories of historical information.  Prudence is understanding the provisions of the U.K. act and what is actually required and meeting those requirements and not guessing at intent.

---------
1950, 51, 52, 62, 76

Wittsend

Firstly BREXIT is nothing to do with 2018 GDPR laws. Whilst the UK may no longer be in the European Union our government have not repealed the 2018 act nor is it on the agenda. We are stuck with it.

In the 2023 Autumn B2L, issue #147 page 6 James Thomas our new Vehicle Database Officer ([email protected]) introduces the latest version of our vehicle database - register - call it what you will.
It just lists the vehicles by chassis number and there is no connection to the registration number or the owner(s). This database is growing all the time and is an invaluable tool for Peter Holden our VRO (vehicle registrations officer).
More details are on the new website.
At the moment you can ask a question about your vehicle or interest and the VDO will try to answer your query. I'm not sure if future plans are to make the database searchable by the members. There's a lot of work going on getting the new website up and running.

In the '60s my mate had a Rolls/Bentley, a lovely car to drive.
In the glove box was the Bentley Driver's Club vehicle register, an A5 leather bound, booklet listing all the members names and addresses and vehicle model and reg number. Many car clubs had similar. Long gone are those days  :'(