News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Side-steps - who has them and why?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Jan 19, 2024, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clifford Pope

I've always found them unnecessary, but I suppose they could be useful for the disabled.

I have always found it mildly irritating that people drive around with them down rather than folded up. I was clobbered by one while cycling in London years ago, where cars give barely 6" clearance to anything else.
I've also seen pedestrians trip on one when edging past a parked veicle.
But you probably have to be more athletic to bend down to flip one up than to hop in without a step.

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

malcolm

They are handy, but a rear step or bolted on plate at the back is a more worthwhile addition, is on my to do list.
Easy to take a tumble going in and out of rear.

Uffddd

Even being over 6' I realise it's not an insignificant step into a Land Rover. I can readily see how even one step on the passenger side would be considerate if not absolutely necessary for some significant others.

Betsy1969

My significant other has Arthritis too and can't get in without a step , so I carry a small plastic fold up thingy which works a treat . Bit awkward to stash once you're in though so a proper step is on the wish list

GatheRRoveR

I only have one on the passenger side so my girl (60) can "ms Vera Stanhope" into the car.

" Mmmmm love "

With the early defender (ninety) heated seats she love to take the old 109.

On my side I slide in and out and because of that I have to replace every 4 to 5 years the skai leather seat.

I am always thinking of a mechanism to let a bar turn/slide out from under the deep-sill when you open the door or something.

GlenAnderson

I have one on the passenger side of my 109" to make it easier for my wife to get in and out. She isn't particularly tall, and has short legs, and really struggled without it.

andyjb

I have full length side steps on both sides. They were on when I bought it and are a help for people getting in and out. Did have a rear step on, but when I replaced the crossmember a couple of years ago I didn't replace it.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Seems I've started something...

Quote from: Clifford Pope on Jan 19, 2024, 06:39 PM.... you probably have to be more athletic to bend down to flip one up than to hop in without...

Beowulf

Being necessary or not all depends on the people who use the vehicle. Short, tall, long legged or short. I have them because they make it much easier, why would I choose to struggle when there's a perfectly good solution. They`re necessary if you need them and not necessary if you don`t, simples.

Before fitting them, my other half really struggled to get in, I had to get behind her with my shoulder and push, giggling as we did, it must have been a comical sight to anyone watching.

Once, after the LR had been in for a service, I noticed the door was out of alignment and it occurred to me the mechanic had been using the door to push himself up into the cab. I expect he was also glad when I fitted the steps.

Many cars of that era (and earlier) had an options list of things that we now take for granted as being standard, "Would Sir like to have a heater fitted?" And in some cases, even a second wing mirror was an extra cost.

And as for being a danger to others when left down, my Defender door mirror`s sticks out further. And if I ever get that close to another vehicle my eyes are usually closed anyway  :))
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Wittsend

Quite so ...

There are far more of these shin slicers on the roads than Land Rovers with side steps.
No one seems to bother about these ...  :shakinghead

Theshed

Quote from: Wittsend on Jan 20, 2024, 11:29 AMQuite so ...

There are far more of these shin slicers on the roads than Land Rovers with side steps.
No one seems to bother about these ...  :shakinghead

I had a close call with a glazing van some time back. A friend was giving me a lift and headed for a gap between a bus and said van.
He did not realise the sides got wider at the bottom. Sharp intake of breath for me !  :pedal

Theshed

As for side steps. Non on my Series though I do have a set lurking in the garage.
I did put some on my Discovery 2 to aid Mothers getting in.
Some double up as rock sliders and jacking points.

The ones I bought where genuine LandRover items bought from Duckworths in a sale. When I opened them up I realised the shiny chrome would not be the safest step for elderly passengers. I packed them up and went to my local independent LR parts supplier and asked would he be interested in part Xing for a set with the rubber top.
On seeing they where genuine he agreed to a straight swap for the ones I wanted. On fitting I noticed that other than the actual step part they where identical to the 'genuine' item complete with embossed LR logo underneath.  ???

Kaney

I have 2 folding steps to put on that I have tided up ready to fit but have fuel tanks either side under the seats and I believe some of you have made brackets that fit to the fuel tank holder as well as the other fixings has anyone got a diagram or picture of how they have done it as it will be appreciated before I try to fit them.
I did speak to one person at the Gaydon motor museum on the Series 2 stand who said he had done it.
Thanks Peter

Craig T

I have them on my 109" station wagon in all 5 door positions and I fitted them again after the restoration as they were on there from day one.
Okay, I fitted new replacements as the originals were unfortunately rusted away too badly but there never was a question if I should fit them or not.

They stay in the up position most the time, my partner needs them to get in as she only has the full use of one leg. I'm never going to go off road so that isn't an issue.

Craig.