News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

UK refurb spares run..

Started by Vintage23, Mar 05, 2024, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage23

Hi

I'm in Calgary Canada an working on a 1964 2a 88 refurb. Chassis is repaired and painted, currently on the axels. But looking forward to starting the engine.

I will be visiting the UK in June, and will look to consolidate some parts with a buddy, so I can bring them back on the aeroplane, (shipping is a killer on the refurb project).

Can you share your preferred parts suppliers, for what and why? I know I will need parts for an engine rebuild and auxiliaries. Plus a drivers side windscreen glass. Plus I may need a repair panel for the front cowl radiator..

Many thanks

AlexB

If you are a paid up club member, PAddock offer a 10% discount
If you have an early 151 series engine, start looking !  Some bits are hard to find
Turners are good for engine parts
Ebay and send them to your mate for other stuff

diffwhine

I'm guessing as its a 1964 model it will have a more standard engine, but Alex is right.
I think you would be best to list the bits you are looking for and we can hopefully point you in the right direction. I'm in the process of clearing a deceased's estate and have a lot of parts I didn't expect to get including a lot of Land Rover Genuine Parts which could do with a new home. Within that there are some engine parts (timing chains, valve springs, and collets for example).

The windscreen glass is readily available, but would it not be simpler to get a glazier to chop you up a sheet of 5mm laminate in Canada rather than trying to cart quite a bulky and fragile part back on a plane?

As Alex says, fully paid up Club members have access to a variety of bespoke club discounts from a variety of suppliers as well.

You will find significant variation in opinions about different suppliers on this platform and other similar ones, but once we know what you are actually really looking for, lets see if we can help.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

island dormy

Hi Vintage 23

I lived in Calgary for 40 or so years both my Dormobiles are from there. There are a couple of Canadian parts suppliers who I use regularly. 3 brothers in Ontario and Rocky Mountain Parabolic spring (and land rover parts) in Vancouver.
The prices are generally better from the UK but sometimes the shipping is a real deal breaker.
I normally have a list going and try to order everything at once that helps a lot on shipping.

Windscreen  safety glass is available at any local glass shop they will cut it the size you want and they normally have rubber on rolls for the inside against the metal trim strips that hold it in place. Cost maybe $50.00 per side.

Good luck with the project.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

GlenAnderson

The Land Rover Workshop website is well worth using to compare prices and stock availability across multiple suppliers.

Link below 👇

LRW

Rusty66

For NOS parts I was in the past very pleased with PA Blanchards and also John Craddock. Paddockspares is really good for pattern parts and consumables. With all three it is probably best to tell them in advance what you want and they will have it ready for you to pick up.

jeichhorst

Hi Vintage23

I live in Regina and have ordered from several UK vendors as well as 3 brothers Classic Rovers in Ontario.
I've used Paddock Spares most often(10% discount) but have also ordered from John Craddock, Emberton Imperial and LRparts.net.
I have yet to have any issues with the orders or the shipping. I usually receive items withe 7 - 10 days. Even heavy items like a clutch, axel halves, starter etc. are no problem
I even ordered the 2 windscreen halves from Paddock Spares and although they won't insure glass, they arrived in perfect condition. It's always good to shop/compare online since there can be significant differences even when shipping is considered.

Jeff