News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

ULEZ

Started by Theshed, Aug 06, 2023, 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theshed

I have just read a report on an anti ULEZ expansion demonstration.
So far not heard about this in main stream media. Could it be due to the fact almost everyone in the area was in support of them ?
Passer-by applauding, Motorists honking. Let's hope the powers that be take note of what people really want.

diffwhine

Most people I speak to who are affected by it, see it as a done deal. I'm pretty sure it will happen regardless.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

You get what you vote for.

Theshed

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 06, 2023, 01:44 PMMost people I speak to who are affected by it, see it as a done deal. I'm pretty sure it will happen regardless.
Yea afraid you right. Apparently set up process started before the consultation ?
Just spoke to my Sister who lives in Essex but has to travel into London. She is a make up artist so carries lot's of kit, car is essential and can't afford a new one, let alone electric.
Having spent the weekend down there I can say they have a good Transport system but not everyone works in an office !

diffwhine

Its not quite a draconian as I thought. Petrol cars after I think 2005 are not affected - its really only diesels which are the problem as that affects anything before 2015. A petrol car before 2005 is now over 18 years old, so doubt of there are too many about. My brother has to drive his van into London from Salisbury 2 or 3 times a week. He isn't fussed - he just said he'll add it to the cost of a day's work.

So if you are a diesel commercial vehicle owner registered in London, best take advantage of the scrappage scheme asap. If a diesel owner, I think there will be some good deals on second hand diesel cars for us country bumkins coming up.

What annoys me is if we as a family for example want to go and see my sister in Ealing for the day on the train, it will cost us around £116 for a family day return on a Saturday. Add local tube costs and that's probably another £20. So we are looking at nearly £140 with all the inconvenience of public transport. If I drive it in an old diesel P38A including ULEZ even with today's fuel costs, its half that price door to door. As a stick, it's no deterrent to me. As a carrot, if the rail fares were better subsidised, I might think twice

Oddjob

Should be coming in a series then it's free!
My 2011 VW Crafter is hit by it. They're offering £7000 if I scrap it but where am I supposed to get a similar replacement for that money? Plus it's only done 30,000 miles so scrapping it seems so wrong.

Theshed

Quote from: Oddjob on Aug 06, 2023, 04:32 PMShould be coming in a series then it's free!
My 2011 VW Crafter is hit by it. They're offering £7000 if I scrap it but where am I supposed to get a similar replacement for that money? Plus it's only done 30,000 miles so scrapping it seems so wrong.
Like with previous scrappage schemes many good vehicles where sent to there untimely 'death' >

GHOBHW

I remember a video of the 2011 scrappage scheme, the amount of land rovers on the runways were insane, quite a few station wagons too

AlexB

What would you all suggest as to the solution to reduce nox and pm2.5 in the inner cities ?
Air quality is reducing life expectancy by a signicifanct amount and killing people.

Personally, I think that a realistic scrappage type scheme  / subsidy is needed. With the current cost of living crisis, too many folk are on the breadline as it is, so shelling out for food and rent / mortgage is a huge struggle
But doing nothing isn't the answer

Oddjob

I too would like clean air but the ulez is a blunt instrument.
I use my van 5 days a week but keep my work area very small so I only do just over a thousand miles a year but I'm charged the same as a courier doing 50,000 miles a year around the city.
I'd love an electric van but my business can't afford it and I'd struggle to charge it with no driveway. I'd love a petrol van but don't know of one the size of my Crafter, they're all diesels.
No idea what the solution is but I feel there's going to be a lot of tradesmen stopping working in the zone.

Wittsend

We've known for years about the dangers of air pollution.
I'm sure with a bit of R&D the boffins could have come up with catalysts/filters for diesels which are more effective than the particle filters we have now. To say nothing about diesel fumigation, more power, more mpg and less pollution than the best petrols  :thud More so if the politicians pushed the manufacturers harder.

A scrapage scheme sounds a good idea - but for politicians  :gold-cup 

diffwhine

I think that like it or lump it, we have been sent down the electric vehicle rabbit hole and that isn't going to change based on current commitments and legislation.

(Putting my tin hat on...) I actually like electric and hybrid vehicles. If you take out all the environmental arguments for and against, they are low maintenance, perform quite impressively and all the ones I've driven have been smooth, comfortable and easy to drive.

I'll get my coat before the grenades start coming in.  :cheers

William

My series 3 109" will be caught by it. Being ex-MOD it's on a Q-plate so isn't exempt. It'll cost £12.50 every time I visit my partner. So i've been pouring over maps to identify routes that avoid the ulez cameras.
It's hit a very raw nerve here in outer south london - we don't benefit from the tube and the bus service is woeful, particularly at weekends - just not an option. Neither are trains given the strikes and engineering work.
I'd far rather a flat £2 daily fee on all vehicles - cleaner but more cars (than even a few years ago) still means more pollution - it's why air pollution in the current ulez in central London keep being missed by a substantial amount. For this reason taxing the 10% of in-scope cars in the outer suburbs ain't going to reduce pollution. Reducing total vehicle usage - especially those folk driving down the road for milk or taking the kids to school in an area where the catchment area is 500m - just might...
Plan B is to swap the series 3 for my exempt 2a 😎

Alan Drover

Why is it on a Q plate? I thought when military vehicles were demobbed and sold into civilian life an age related number was issued. There must be records of when it was manufactured.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

William

Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 06, 2023, 09:39 PMWhy is it on a Q plate? I thought when military vehicles were demobbed and sold into civilian life an age related number was issued. There must be records of when it was manufactured.
I bought the vehicle in 1988 when it was cast from the army. The then ex-MOD dealer (Keith Gott) offered to register it on an age related plate for extra money - the Q-plate route then was cheaper and at the time it didn't seem important...