News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Grand touring

Started by Uffddd, Aug 14, 2023, 04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uffddd

A friend and I have elected to spend a fair amount of time and a small fortune in diesel on a bit of a European tour in a 109 2A we co-own. It's got a 200tdi in it and since having had a new turbo, exhaust, injectors and injector pump fitted has been very well behaved mechanically this summer giving some confidence in the proposition.

I've got two questions really for those who have done long distance foreign trips.

What spares are well worth carrying?

And who would be best to insure with since foreign breakdown recovery cover would be somewhat reassuring in the Pyrenees... My current cover is due for renewal imminently anyway so recommendations for normal cover are also welcome. I'm currently with Lancaster who were fairly reasonable for this last year.

Worf

I think Hagerty include European breakdown cover in their policies, using the RAC.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

GlenAnderson

Fuel and oil filters, fan belts, a bottom pulley, some radiator hoses. Engine oil and EP90 for top-ups (and check your transmission levels regularly). Some wire, bulbs, fuses and the obligatory tape and cableties.

The necessary imperial spanners etc to do the majority of jobs. Even if you don't do the work yourself and find a local garage to do it, they'll be unlikely to have any AF or Whitworth spanners.

Anything else can be expedited to you, or will either be jury-riggable to get you to somewhere you can stay for a few days to affect repairs, or will be too major to fix at all.

diffwhine

Where in Europe are you planning to go to?
Well worth posting it so that any S2C members in the area could help (or run a mile / kilometre).
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Strang

Wheel bearing kit? I have been on euro trips where others have had wheel bearings fail. Not always easy to get hold of.

autorover1

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Aug 14, 2023, 08:25 PMFuel and oil filters, fan belts, a bottom pulley, some radiator hoses. Engine oil and EP90 for top-ups (and check your transmission levels regularly). Some wire, bulbs, fuses and the obligatory tape and cableties.

The necessary imperial spanners etc to do the majority of jobs. Even if you don't do the work yourself and find a local garage to do it, they'll be unlikely to have any AF or Whitworth spanners.

Anything else can be expedited to you, or will either be jury-riggable to get you to somewhere you can stay for a few days to affect repairs, or will be too major to fix at all.

Thats the sort of things I have in my S1 when abroad , not sure how you define extended tour , but that coved me for a 3000 mile jaunt

VOD80

If you do come down this way and things do go pear shaped, there's Drew Brown at Landypoint (https//www.landypoint.fr 05 45 62 27 20 or [email protected]).

Drew does pretty much next day delivery and has a strong Britpart aversion.

I use him a lot and I've never been let down. I can't remember if he was part of Leafers a't Pit, or was it just the Old Leaf-Sprung Landies group...

Cheers, Tony

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Know Drew from OLLR days. Was in competition with an LPG installation site - around at the  same time - for the funniest web-site in history.

Quote from: Strang on Aug 15, 2023, 04:25 PMWheel bearing kit? I have been on euro trips where others have had wheel bearings fail. Not always easy to get hold of.

That would have been my first thought, with a 52mm socket. And unless you run discs, a fresh set to replace the oil-sodden shoes when the hub-seals go.

Uffddd

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 14, 2023, 09:33 PMWhere in Europe are you planning to go to?
Well worth posting it so that any S2C members in the area could help (or run a mile / kilometre).

Basically south of France and northern Spain. I think ferry to Brittany then down through western France to st tropez. Then a ferry to Mallorca, then to Barcelona, followed by through the Pyrenees to a ferry from Spain back to the U.K.

It's possible that circumstance will dictate we do the route in reverse, but either way the target is St Tropez by the beginning of October.

Not the longest trip in the world, nor that far away from assistance if necessary.

Wheel bearings is one thing I wouldn't have considered but I can see the merit considering they're fairly low cost and not that difficult to change.

Ironically since the mention of radiator hoses my friend has sent me a video of steam pissing out of the bottom of the radiator, so the pipes might well get changed before we set off...

I've got an old LR tool roll that already lives in the back but it'll be supplemented with a few other useful tools.

Any good suggestions for jacks? I need to add one to the inventory in any event.

diffwhine

I find the Range Rover Classic, P38A, Discovery 1 / 2 Jack is the most effective. It fits under a spring plate when the tyre is flat on a Series and also has a good "V" to go under axle casings if required.
Most never get used, and spend their lives stored on their sides, so they usually need a bit of priming to get them going. They also have nice long jack handles.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305067288641?hash=item47076d6841:g:0ZgAAOSw0QJkzNqE&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IAa22zxeVq2wj4bkoSV35W09J%2FsBipDKXGCcKU2Y1Te8L1Ox4sydvhbyShm%2FUUvFslhcLfv5fUGD6BjA%2FGxNZRRbe150QthUIhM7igy1qyoiB8TXKs7IzNJAS3u5YfAXXhqNyneg2Xk0esK38ETIN7vwQ22mmbLQ%2FstYfItBq0P%2BiKKcNcYgUbG9Pa5hbBWtKNl%2FSNQc%2BbE%2FJ34IHf7X6VwYYlS4A3ZE0fazhHh1AA8K0uGYDbZTwfy8lB2kU6862%2BGKU96cqPxlL7h5g%2Baq8qDTxnWbciQk4jt%2FXS7u9hd%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_SM3OW_Yg

Also the chocks are really useful

Quote from: autorover1 on Aug 15, 2023, 07:17 PM
Quote from: GlenAnderson on Aug 14, 2023, 08:25 PMFuel and oil filters, fan belts, a bottom pulley, some radiator hoses. Engine oil and EP90 for top-ups (and check your transmission levels regularly). Some wire, bulbs, fuses and the obligatory tape and cableties.

Thats the sort of things I have in my S1 when abroad , not sure how you define extended tour , but that coved me for a 3000 mile jaunt

The saying is 'better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it'.

There is a limit to the amount that you can carry.

Folks who have owned vehicle for many years will have gone right through it probably more than once. 

A long breaker bar or scaffold tube can come to the rescue if a part is seized or not been undone since year dot.

Uffddd

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 16, 2023, 01:42 PMI find the Range Rover Classic, P38A, Discovery 1 / 2 Jack is the most effective. It fits under a spring plate when the tyre is flat on a Series and also has a good "V" to go under axle casings if required.
Most never get used, and spend their lives stored on their sides, so they usually need a bit of priming to get them going. They also have nice long jack handles.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305067288641?hash=item47076d6841:g:0ZgAAOSw0QJkzNqE&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IAa22zxeVq2wj4bkoSV35W09J%2FsBipDKXGCcKU2Y1Te8L1Ox4sydvhbyShm%2FUUvFslhcLfv5fUGD6BjA%2FGxNZRRbe150QthUIhM7igy1qyoiB8TXKs7IzNJAS3u5YfAXXhqNyneg2Xk0esK38ETIN7vwQ22mmbLQ%2FstYfItBq0P%2BiKKcNcYgUbG9Pa5hbBWtKNl%2FSNQc%2BbE%2FJ34IHf7X6VwYYlS4A3ZE0fazhHh1AA8K0uGYDbZTwfy8lB2kU6862%2BGKU96cqPxlL7h5g%2Baq8qDTxnWbciQk4jt%2FXS7u9hd%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_SM3OW_Yg

Also the chocks are really useful
Excellent.

Quote from: 2286 on Aug 16, 2023, 02:08 PMThe saying is 'better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it'.

There is a limit to the amount that you can carry.

Folks who have owned vehicle for many years will have gone right through it probably more than once. 

A long breaker bar or scaffold tube can come to the rescue if a part is seized or not been undone since year dot.

I do appreciate having and not needing, however space will be a bit of an issue since tools and parts will have to stow in the rear seat lockers. The truck is open backed and ex military so there's a fuel tank instead of a passenger seat locker.

autorover1

I have an old book somewhere that Land Rover published about touring, mainly aimed at long distance off the beaten track. and makes much of not taking too many parts.  Like take a spare spring leaf not a whole spring. 

Larry S

Quote from: autorover1 on Aug 16, 2023, 04:58 PMI have an old book somewhere that Land Rover published about touring, mainly aimed at long distance off the beaten track. and makes much of not taking too many parts.  Like take a spare spring leaf not a whole spring. 

If you find it would you please share it?  I'd be interested in knowing what it is.  I have a small collection of books like that and am always on the lookout for more.

:cheers
Larry
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

diffwhine

I think I have the same book. I've also got a copy of "Working in the Wild" and several books published by Shell for operations in the Middle East and North Africa. When I finally move house and unpack the boxes, I'll show them on here.

I've done a few overland expeditions and one thing I have learned is that it usually doesn't help to carry too much stuff. If its all new in boxes, customs officials don't like it and start seeing £ signs.

First of all, I would strip all the hubs, repack the bearings with fresh grease and refit against new stub axle collars. I would probably go through the brakes in a similar fashion of not done already. New engine oil and filter. I would also check and overhaul the clutch hydraulics, so all the former are known sorted quantities. I take it the timing belts is within its service limit and there is no sign of oil leakage out of the front timing cover housing drain hole?

Were it me, I would take the following
1 x inner wheel bearing
1 x outer wheel bearing
2 x Hub oil seals
4 x Hub lock washers
4 x Hub flange gaskets
2 x Wheel nuts
2 x Pull through wheel studs
1 x Front brake hose
1 x Rear brake hose
2 x Brake hose nuts
2 x Brake hose star washers
A few assorted brake unions (so a pipe could be made up anywhere)
2 x Hub caps
2 x Wiper blades
1 x radiator cap
1 x Fuel cut off solenoid
Drain plug washers
4 x Tdi injector seat washers
4 x U bolt nuts for the front
4 x U bolt nuts for the rear (if different) You can then double nut if something works loose.
1 x Bulb kit - mandatory
1 x Fuel filter (not essential as AEU2147L is readily available from Bosch etc. all over the place).
1 x Orange indicator lens
1 x Clear side light lens
1 x Red stop light lens
2 x spring shackle nuts
1 x Thermostat housing bleed bung
1 x Gear lever pin which goes in the gear lever turret to guide the lever.
1 x Inner tube
2 x valves for inner tubes
4 x valve caps
2 x Tdi Exhaust hanger rubbers
1 x prop shaft UJ
8 x 3/8 UNF Nylock prop shaft nut
1 x Rocker cover gasket
1 x Rocker cover half moon seal
1 x accelerator cable

Duct Tape
A coil of tie wire
Hose repair bandage
Assorted jubilee clips
JB Weld metal repair putty
STC50550 Land Rover Black sealant
Small tub of grease

No need to take an oil filter as I assume the vehicle will be serviced before you leave? Also the filter (ERR3340) is readily available. For Europe, the same should apply for your air filter.

All this is low value and doesn't take up any significant space.

I've probably forgotten something, but that's just about my usual list.