It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Grand touring

Started by Uffddd, Aug 14, 2023, 04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJC

I take a clutch slave cylinder as well.

Chris.

I recall an article from LRO 1993 where a trip in an s1 was done.

I think it was called the flying kettle, as they had that on the spare on the bonnet.

It gave a list of what they took along.

Zip ties and blocks of wood can make field repairs.

Uffddd

I might leave the kettle behind but there's certainly a lot to be thinking about from the replies so far.

Larry S

Quote from: Uffddd on Aug 17, 2023, 07:12 PMI might leave the kettle behind but there's certainly a lot to be thinking about from the replies so far.

No need to leave it behind.   :tiphat
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

Wheel bearing kit?

I agree ... but if that situation should come to pass, I think I'd be happier having a complete hub (already fitted with bearings and packed with grease), and the necessary lock washer and split pin.

I hope that you don't have the early hubs, with stubs held in by body filler. Monsieur Plod often stands guard, while the mechanic fixes things.

I once read of a French policeman who told the RESCUE driver to send the bill to the factory ... changing a side light bulb on some modern cars, is a PITA.

PS. Having paid the man in the toll-booth, which means stretching across to the passenger window in a RHD car, make sure you are belted back into your seat, BEFORE moving off.

Strang

Quote from: 2286 on Aug 17, 2023, 12:26 PMI recall an article from LRO 1993 where a trip in an s1 was done.

I think it was called the flying kettle, as they had that on the spare on the bonnet.

It gave a list of what they took along.

Zip ties and blocks of wood can make field repairs.

I remember that story! Absolutely brilliant and one that LRO should have repeated - which won't happen now of course. I seem to recall they burnt out an exhaust valve too, and some roadside mechanic managed to get one from a Peugeot to fit and work. They were a bunch of students on a limited budget, but managed to get all the way to India.

Adam1958

I'd take cable ties, 6 feet of electrical cable, ( or trailer cable to strip for parts) a few Wago connectors for a peachy fast bodge, and a bottle of brandy for when it goes really bad.

Uffddd

Quote from: w3526602 on Aug 18, 2023, 07:12 AMWheel bearing kit?

I agree ... but if that situation should come to pass, I think I'd be happier having a complete hub (already fitted with bearings and packed with grease), and the necessary lock washer and split pin.

I hope that you don't have the early hubs, with stubs held in by body filler. Monsieur Plod often stands guard, while the mechanic fixes things.

I once read of a French policeman who told the RESCUE driver to send the bill to the factory ... changing a side light bulb on some modern cars, is a PITA.

PS. Having paid the man in the toll-booth, which means stretching across to the passenger window in a RHD car, make sure you are belted back into your seat, BEFORE moving off.

They don't have men in the toll booths anymore, however the bench style of front seat in a series would make the shuffle over to the card machine much easier than most RHD cars. However I intend to circumvent that issue entirely by avoiding toll roads like the plague. They're uninteresting and the truck is only really comfortable up to about 40mph.

Re Tolls, I think depending on country, there is an option to pre pay via tech and display a sticker which allows you to use a dedicated breeze though barrier whilst others que.