News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tunbridge Wells - vehicle inspection?

Started by Brendlynch, Aug 23, 2023, 08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendlynch

Good morning

Are there any members local to the Tunbridge Wells area that would be able to carry out a vehicle inspection  on my behalf please?

Thanks

Gravygraham

Do you do Facebook? If so there's a Kent area page where it might be worth asking.

Brendlynch

Thanks, will do.

It was this one in particular that I wanted someone to take a look at for me.

https://www.justinbanks.com/1966-land-rover-series-iia-88/

Thanks

Birdsnest55

I have just looked at the pictures. It has S3 hinges. My 65/66 has the number plate on the other side.
The bulkhead is Blue under the bonnet.
The engine has the wire missing from the otter switch.
Needs a tidy up in the engine bay.
Lots of hard work done making the outside pretty but they left under the bonnet.

That's my thoughts.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Tom

I suppose it begs the question - what sort of vehicle are you looking for?

Are you looking for something to enjoy and take green laning, one to enter at local shows, one to enter into bigger shows where there may be vehicle competitions?

I hate seeing posts where a vehicle is slated, and every little thing is picked up on and criticised, but what I hate more, is unsuspecting buyers having the wool pulled over their eyes and buying something that they think is perfect, when in reality it isnt. A lot comes down to the buyers expectations and usage. The pictures of this one are a fairly good indicator of what it might be like, but as you rightly point out, an in person inspection is always better.

Tom

Id agree with Paul about the paintwork - without wanting to throw it under the bus, its clearly had a paint job restoration. Some of the internal pictures show the rubber grommets have been painted over too, along with the bolts holding the steering column support bracket on.

If we wanted to be picky, there is a fairly long list of observations can be made with this one, and in my humble opinion, it is very much overpriced for what it is.

Theshed

Looks good but not sure I would be paying Nineteen Grand.
Some interesting looking vehicles around the yard though.

Peter Holden

I ham in touch with Brendan and will be contacting a few people when home from hols.

Note, he isn't asking for comments about it.  He needs someone to go and look at it

Peter

diffwhine

Yes! I've already supplied him with the comments list a week ago! I think we all agree as to the overall condition though. I looked at a nicer one not far from here for him recently.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Update
No one needed, Brendan has decided not to go for this one

Peter

Tom

I think that's the right decision personally.

The missing nut and bolt on the n/s rear crossmember tab, and complete lack of bolts holding the seat box top spacer plate on to the seatbox made me wonder what else had been missed - and concerned if anything was missing off something safety-related.

The right one is out there Brendan. Keep searching.  :cheers-man

diffwhine

I think we've found it Tom. Pretty much been totally rebuilt with little expense spared and not far from here.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Brendlynch

Thanks for all the help everyone. As diffwhine has mentioned, fingers crossed on the one that he has found for me which is spot on.

Just a small amount of due diligence needed to satisfy our local DVS who have to pass it for registration in Jersey.