News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

New Bulkhead recommendations

Started by Telemuhcaster, Sep 12, 2023, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemuhcaster

Hello all.

I'm sure it's been asked to death but I am here to revive it!

What recommendations do people have for replacement bulkheads? I know galv ones usually are a bit to be desired. Does anyone know what shielders galv bulkheads are like? They claim it's specially designed for that purpose. Has anyone tried different companies and been happy with the product?

Anyone have experience getting a new ungalvanised bulkhead and their reasoning behind this?

Thank you everyone

GHOBHW

I used a shielders on my last build

you will have to mess around with it for a week redrilling/tapping/playing with

not all holes are correct, plus mine was warped, so I had to tie it to the back of my other land rover and give it a good tug.

very strong though, really great if they fix all the stupid issues..they might have by now.

you can grab any other bulkhead and twist it when it isn't supported, no way with a shielder. very strong. but not for purists or if you don't want to mess around with them. it really does require playing with.

I have a Rob Owen one for my current build, ungalved (he doesn't do/supply galvanised bulkheads), I just got mine in primer so I could blast it full of something, though I haven't painted or fitted it yet, so no idea of what may arise, though they're meant to be very good and it looks very good. so heres hoping!

I met a guy in Doncaster who galved his rob owen bulkhead, so it can be done, if you prep it right.

thats my view with them. probably forgetting some bits, but thats about it. :RHD

Landy62

I fitted a Pegasus bulkhead to my rebuild and I am very happy with it fitted well without any problems very period correct with all the correct fittings and pressings etc.

Landy62

Forgot to mention it was not galvanised just red oxide primer.

Also depending on the year of your vehicle I have been told by a few people that Rob Owens Bulkheads for 58/59 have had issues and have had to been sent back for correction

Alan Drover

I had a Rob Owen bulkhead 3 years ago. They sprayed it bronze green, injected rustproofing inside and added stone chip underneath. I reinforced the stone chip with Waxoyl underseal.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

DogDave

Put a shielder on my s3. Couple holes to drill but on a 40 yr old military that was converted by Marshalls so who knows whether the holes were original or not anyway. I would use shielder again for any daily driver or bitsa. I seem to have got luckier than others though. As been said above not really original so maybe not for a detailed restoration

ChrisJC

I used Pegasus. It took some years to arrive, but it is good. I have no complaints.

Note that since Paul died, Pegasus Bulkheads are now run by somebody else. He seemed very amenable when I chatted to him at the last LRO show.

Chris.