News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

radio

Started by [email protected], Sep 18, 2023, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I am considering installing a period correct radio, with blue tooth into my series 2, any suggestions or supplies

steve

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Larry S

Here is a drawing of the type that was offered.  I do have pics of a couple ofthem that came out of old Rovers, but different manufacturer.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Depends on how often you intend to use this. Frankly there's usually so much 'dirty-noise' in a Series, it'll be a constant battle to suppress, rid yourself of it across audio. More so some cheap unit made to look the part. I've a full DAB unit, it doesn't suffer the noise you'll get via FM.

A 60s 70s radio won't be much good for reception, likely AM only, or dubious FM and a modern fake will look a modern fake. Thus why fight it?

Put in a proper understated unit. agreed most are, however not all have to be with flourescent Blue LEDs and be inspired by Blackpool illuminations. Get one with an amber - yellow display. If you actually want to listen to the thing, it's the way to go.

Wittsend

People often question the need to fit a radio in a Series Land Rover.

It's true that you won't hear much when you're driving along - but when stopped and brewing a cuppa you can hear the radio just as if you were at home  :coffee

As to what type of radio set ??? rather depends on what stations you wish to hear.

DAB radio is a bit of a failure, well here in Norfolk it is, there are places where the signal is very poor and you just hear that bubbling noise.

Bigdog

Interesting, didn't realise series 2 had radios

simon1959

I agree with all the points above about the noise being too oppressive to think about a radio, however to your question, there is someone on ebay who is taking old radio's apart, removing the internals and replacing them with a bluetooth setup. So you could use that to listen to a playlist on your phone.

I spend most of my time listening for new sounds, perhaps indicators of something new that needs fixing.

ebay number 314827174753. At £40, it seems reasonable.

Adam1958

Quote from: Bigdog on Sep 19, 2023, 05:49 PMInteresting, didn't realise series 2 had radios

Same... I wonder how many got ordered in period... then how many refunds where requested once the new owners tried to listen to them.

[email protected]

thanks for all the great advice, very helpful.

steve

Bigdog

Has anyone got any pictures of there radio set up, sorry for invading the post but interested

Genocache

Bluetooth is not period correct. :cool

w3526602

Hi,

Two things to bear in mind ....

Polarity used to be the bane of my S1b] life, being negative Earth, as tape players were then only available in positive earth, and S1 Landies only came with positive Earth dynamos. OK, so was every other car I could afford at that point in my life. Nowadays it wouldn't be a problem, due to knowledge gleaned from this forum, but one still needs to be aware.

Nowadays, I would bite the bullet, and just "take the hit" (circa £70 ???) and fit an S3 alternator bracket to an S2, coz I like to see where I am going which would negate this discussion, so please disregard this mail..... be aware of the polarity
problem.

Can an alternator's polarity be reversed?

PS. I believe I recently mentioned "Toc H" lamps (as in "As dim as Toc H lamp!").

I understand that Toc H was some sort of medical organisation that used an Aladin's
type oil lamp as their symbol. I'm happy to be corrected.

Wittsend

Valve radios would be a challenge in a Land Rover - to survive the bumps (and pot holes).
By the end of Series 2 production transistors were invented and wireless sets were not so fragile.

:cool

Wittsend

If you really want a retro style radio, but with modern electronics and all of today's media features then there is a chap posting his services on the Rover P4 Driver's Guild on Facebook.
I don't know what his range is, but you could speak with him and see if he can meet your needs ???

:RHD

NoBeardNoTopKnot

To my eyes the options at vintagecarradio.com are a charicature. retro-style audio, done by the same bloke that styled the new Mini. Nice if you like that sort of thing. Fit one in something used in the carriage trade .

That eBay listing? Now you're talking, it won't look fake, because it  isn't. I like.