News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Head lamp upgrade

Started by Bigdog, Sep 21, 2023, 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I'm not sure I understand this thread. More than adequate for LR speeds, I run a set not unlike these. It's a series LR. Mine is almost always the slowest thing for miles, how fast can yours be? How fast would you planning to go, and are we sure?

Alan Drover

See and be seen at whatever speed you choose to drive.
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

John

Quote from: Herald1360 on Sep 22, 2023, 10:35 AMthey'll be fine behind clear lenses 

I'm sure your right but I wanted to retain the original glass in my 1954 and the "moulding" in the class caused a 360 degree spread of light, a plain glass would have been fine
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Those are fine, hence will never do. Nay, let's face it, this needed doing - now we can put them straight.

If anyone dares question the LR owner's ability to spot tat on eBay whilst standing waist deep in jerry-cans and car-accessory upgrade shonk send them here.

Herald1360

Quote from: John on Sep 22, 2023, 01:00 PM
Quote from: Herald1360 on Sep 22, 2023, 10:35 AMthey'll be fine behind clear lenses 

I'm sure your right but I wanted to retain the original glass in my 1954 and the "moulding" in the class caused a 360 degree spread of light, a plain glass would have been fine

"Those LED bulbs look to be projectors in their own right. If so, they'll be fine behind clear lenses (assuming that their native beam patterns are OK) but could suffer badly from beam scatter if they're used behind any sort of prismatic lens."

As I suggested re prismatic ie moulded patterned lenses.

Craig T

Still got the 1967 sealed beams in my one and they are dynamo powered.
Not that great though for night driving, has to be said...

Craig.

diffwhine

I don't know what the fuss is about... Try driving an 80" with lights behind the grille Butler headlamps at night.

A candle has a better beam pattern then a pair of Butler headlights...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Oddjob

As Lord Lucas himself often said,,, A gentleman doesn't motor after dark. 

Herald1360

Has the "Prince of Darkness" (aka "King of the Road" been demoted to a lowly lord, then?

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Herald1360 on Sep 22, 2023, 06:28 PMHas the "Prince of Darkness" (aka "King of the Road" been demoted to a lowly lord, then?

Appears so. To fill the void, and make you feel better, His Erminess Wittsend now lets the lower orders bow and scrape prostrate before him, and I've just become the self-appointed expert in not much.

Any good to you?

Wittsend

At 20 mph a couple of candles will be just fine - if you must venture out after dark  :shakinghead

diffwhine

I beg to differ m'lud... I said one candle was better than two Butler headlights...

Bloke

Quote from: Calum on Sep 22, 2023, 09:01 AMI run Wipac Quadoptics in my daily drive 88". Brilliant beam pattern, H4 bulbs. Plastic reflector which doesn't rust (I got fed up of replacing units every couple of years!) but better still they're dirt cheap used because people keep pulling them out of Defenders to fit ghastly aftermarket LED units.

Another vote for the Wipac Quadoptics. Cheap, reliable, look fairly original - especially if you purchase the version without the built-in sidelight bulb.
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

diffwhine

If it helps, the WIPAC Quadoptic part number for Right Hand Drive vehicles is STC1209. For Left Hand Drive vehicles it is STC1210. Neither of those part numbers have in-built sidelights. It is advisable to get a boot to fit on the back  - son't leave the rears exposed.