News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

Front bumper

Started by Bigdog, Sep 21, 2023, 07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

What's your thoughts regarding colour, I am wondering if I should get my front bumper galvanised or paint it black again, I have a 1970 2a 109 ex military in bronze green, just wondering what people think looks better, thanks

Twomokes

From the factory it would have been galvanised and that is what I would do.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

Mr Ed

In my opinion,
 I love the combination of bronze green and galvanizing, I think it is one of the reasons why these vehicles look so good in bronze green.
 I would leave it Galvanized.
Everyday better...
88 Station Wagon 1966
Ex Army

Bigdog

Someone had painted it black but I think I will get it sandblasted and galvanised, now is the time as it's off my series as I am doing it up 👍

gcc130

Why not try some paint stripper on it and see what the galv is like underneath?

Bigdog

Don't think the existing galvanised was very good

109+1

All the series military vehicles I have seen have all had anything galvanised painted over, windscreen frame,bumper ,cappings ,bumprets, etc

Bigdog

Yeah I noticed that, but I like the look of the galvanised against the green, but then again if I am trying to keep it fairly original do I paint it black 🤷�♂️

diffwhine

If you want to keep the military active service look, it should be painted. The policy was that any brightwork should be painted in olive green or camouflage for deployments. I have the same conundrum with my Lightweight and have decided to do it in the colour it would have left the factory (Deep Bronze Green) and visible galvanise. All the olive drab paintwork was done by the military in those days, so quite a few ceremonial vehicles remained DBG.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

So do you think maybe do it in bronze green instead of black

diffwhine

The bumper would have been delivered on the vehicle as galvanised I would have thought. It would never have been DBG.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

Quite so ^^^

Who knows what happened when the vehicles were in service at which base. Often troops on jankers would have been told to paint everything.
Many ex-MoD vehicles have been found to have many layers of paint - often into double figures  :confused

Bigdog

Yeah think I will go with the galvanised look