News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in April

Started by Wittsend, Apr 01, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betsy1969

Quote from: Larry S on Apr 26, 2024, 01:41 AM
Quote from: diffwhine on Apr 25, 2024, 07:48 AMLarry - there's a story in there which I want to hear...

You cannot view this attachment.

I live in a really small town,less than 1,500 people.  It's a relatively quiet town, not a ton of traffic.

About 4 years after I purchased Grover the transmission started popping out of gear and the transmission brake was nonexistent.  One day I parked in front of the hardware store in town.  The front parking apron is stopped down towards the road, which is also the busiest road in town and one of the busiest in the county. 

While I was in the hardware store Grover popped out of gear, rolled out the parking area, across the street and into the gas pump area of the gas station across the street.  Grover literally stopped right next to one of the pumps, on the fill side! 

I walked outside just in time to see Grover come to a stop, and about 50' from me stood the chief of police and the hardware store manager - laughing their butts off. 

I walked over to Grover and a few minutes later, so did the chief.  While still chuckling the chief said "you're damned lucky there was no traffic; get it fixed."  In reply I said "Grover's thirsty, what can I say".  Luckily the chief was a friend.

This happened to my uncle many years ago, he had a 109 station wagon which was probably a 2a.Something let go in either the handbrake or gearbox and it rolled down his sloping driveway across the main Scalby Road in Scarborough and into the driveway opposite , parking itself neatly by their garage door.

Daisythelandie

Took the Landie to our model railway club in Glasgow, about ten miles on the new tyres, they worked well though noisy at 30 mph but quieter above 30. I had decided to get rid of the old radial tyres which were approaching 20 years old although they had plenty tread left. The steering is lighter at low speed and believe it or not the motor doesn't wander quite so much. I wanted the 'old look' of Crossply tyres and had been reading various pros and cons on here and elsewhere. As the Landie is only occasional use and not a daily driver I fitted Deestones. These tyres were a brand new batch from late 2023 manufacture and I was surprised to find the rubber was quite soft so maybe a more modern type of rubber than the previous crossplies from years ago and indeed very much softer than the Avon TM I have as a directionless spare. Obviously I haven't been out in the wet yet and probably won't be unless there is an unexpected shower of rain but I drive carefully and with plenty space given to the car in front but I will be wary in the wet as some people have said.
 :RHD
Dave & Daisy the Landy, 31 years of ownership and still smiling.

Littlelegs

As it's been raining I decided to do a "little job" of tidying up the Smiths heater. As is the way this escalated somewhat. :))

The spring locks were corroded on the case and took some freeing off, but popped off eventually. The fan was well rusted on but penetrating fluid and heat freed the grub screw and it slowly relented and was removed. The door flaps were rustier than expected and the spring tabs broken and one handle chipped, so I drilled the relevant rivets and unscrewed the handles so I could give the whole lot a decent clean.

The casing had a lot of flaking black paint so I thought I may as well remove that and neaten it up. Should it be painted black or natural metal? Any advice appreciated.

If anyone has any idea what size rivets I'll need to refit the doors to the casing and fit the clips it'd be much appreciated.

Doors and fan rust treated and in primer ready for paint tomorrow. I've decided I may as well remove the motor and heater matrix and check them as well, but ran out of time today.

Obligatory pictures showing progress (or not).
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Oddjob

Today I drove back to London after a lovely trip to Wales.

Old Hywel

Exterior of round heater should be crinkle-finish black paint.

Craig T

I went camping with the series one club at their southern spring rally.

A very wet few days unfortunately but still fun nonetheless. I was the only series 2 there but I was made to feel welcome by all and everyone I spoke to, loved the younger model.

Friday was a talk in the evening by Alex Bescoby of The Last Overland fame, Saturday was a trip to the Dunsfold Land Rover Collection and then a trip to a local brewery for a few drinks and live music. Sunday was pack up very wet equipment and wander home at your own pace as a planned visit to another local series one owners collection and workshop, had to be cancelled due to a water logged field we were planning to park in.

Land Rover is now parked up again in the barn with the door and windows all open to dry out a bit!

Certainly gave me some inspiration to get on and get my 86" station wagon on the road.

Craig.

nathanglasgow

Neighbours cat inspecting the newly installed vent seals. They are Britpart items and he thinks they may be too hard and thick for the vents to shut easily. I told him if he's going to be that critical of cheap parts he can leave on the next boot out of the workshop.

diffwhine

That first shot has to be a candidate for the monthly picture competition!
The cat may well be right though!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

nathanglasgow

The cat, aparantly, has more wisdom than me. They are indeed a poor fit. Too thick and hard. I've left the vents as tight as I dare and there's still gaps. Might settle down in a year or two ???

Peter Holden

In use as the works van with 2 trips to the tip within from my sister in laws house.  Gives me an excuse to use it and whilst out I filled up with diesel at £1.51 per litre

Peter

Oddjob

I filled up on Sunday. My gauge said I had some left but I got this much in!
Aren't they 45 litre tanks?

Seanlandy

Yesterday, so the last day of April, I decided to start taking the drag link off to change the ball joints. Needless to say one of them was so lose it spun, but it seems clear I have to remove the relay and steering box arms to get the ball joints out anyway. Ran out of time, but will clearly need to use a puller and then probably refresh the steering box while I am at it. Looks tight. Is there a technique to this, I wonder!

Theshed

Quote from: Craig T on Apr 25, 2024, 10:38 AMWished her happy birthday this morning.
57 years ago today she rolled off the production line and on the 9th of May 1967 she was dispatched and started the journey to Malta. I assume they just sat outside somewhere at the factory in that 2 week interval?

Ah, thanks for the reminder.
My Series 2 was registered in April '64 and so was I !
So that is when we where both 'born'.
Picked up a load of York Stone for my garden, from Freecycle. Great resource.