News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Door check rods.

Started by Boris60, May 02, 2024, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris60

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I can replace the cranked door check rods fitted with an angled bracket for the straight rod that has the rubber stop on. I have the two bolt on pieces that house the stopper end of the rod.
If so does anyone supply the rods complete.

Thanks

John

I got some new rods, old stock, from Blanchards about a year ago
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Craig T

Sounds like you have a mix of series 3 and series 2 bits. Any photos of what you have now?

Craig.

John

I got this type from Blanchards -
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Boris60

Hi, John & Craig thanks for the info.I did take a photo but it's that long since I've been on here I've forgotten how to add it and I wasn't very good last time.

Craig T

In order to get the options to add photos you need to press the " reply" button which sits at the bottom of this window.

If you type in the empty box at the bottom of the page, you don't get the options to add photos.

Craig.

Boris60

This is what is fitted to the door at the moment. As the bulk head is new and not drilled or fitted with captive nuts to take this bracket I was hoping to use the straight check rod (Blanchard)have sold out.
Thanks for the help with the photo loading Craig if anyone can supply dimensions I might have a guy who can make a pair.

Neil

Wittsend

That is a Series 3 door bracket and the door check rod system is totally different on a Series 2/2A as you have found out.

You could well make up a hybrid system as I can see you wouldn't want to be drilling extra holes in a new bulkhead.

You need some round Bar (B&Q ??) some heat to make a flattened end with a big hammer and cut a 5/16" UNF thread for the Series 2 bulkhead stopper tube plunger.

As you can see I've used a rubber bung as the plunger. But adjusting the nut on the rod you can "squeeze" the bung to give just the right amount of resistance you need for smooth operation of the door check action.

:Tarkus

Boris60

Thanks Wittsend, that's great info I'am sure I can concoct something from that.
Neil

diffwhine

Doesn't somebody make a conversion kit? I'm sure I've seen something advertised somewhere.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

nathanglasgow

This chap does them. Possibly a member on here??

gcc130

I think I have a pair of those somewhere, I'll have a look

Gordon Furness

diffwhine

Excellent! We got there in the end!  :cool
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Gordon's stuff is top notch, he produces some stuff that is no longer available from the welding  wood.  He also does classic mini stuff

Peter