News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is best

Started by Bigdog, Oct 11, 2023, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Wing mounted or door mounted mirrors on a 1970 series 2a 109 ex military, thanks

Old80

Door mounted mirrors are better by far, wing mounted in my experience are a total waste of time.

Wittsend

If you are serious about towing then you could do far worse than fit a pair of defender hinges and mirrors. Practicality over originality.

I have these on mine and they are electrically heated  :gold-cup

I have kept the bottom hinges standing proud.

:RHD

Alan Drover

I've got Defender door mounted mirrors and they are far superior to any wing mounted ones. Safety over originality.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Exile

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 11, 2023, 07:07 PMWing mounted or door mounted mirrors on a 1970 series 2a 109 ex military, thanks

For use?
Door mounted.

For originality?
Wing mounted.

Your choice.

RobS

I have both door mounted types, original hinges with the mod to take the mirror and full Defender hinges fitted with spring loaded mirrors which help when driving into the garage. I decided that functionality was best over originality, but I do still have the originals if I wanted to change back.

-OTTO-

got wing mounted mirrors
for driving http://series2club.co.uk/2023_new_forum/Smileys/wittsends/RHD.gif
the back of my soft top is always open

kind regards

Bigdog

Robs do you have a picture

Bigdog

Probably should have asked here first before buying the expensive door hinges that take the mirrors

RobS

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 12, 2023, 05:44 PMRobs do you have a picture
Yep here you go -

Defender (Exmoor heavy Duty hinges)

Original hinges

Adam1958

Wing mounted with convex glass so you can actually see things.
I did have a set of door mounted hobbies, they probably did aloe me to see more... but hey, I can stick my head out the window if it goes really wrong.

Clifford Pope

Quote from: Adam1958 on Oct 12, 2023, 06:13 PMWing mounted with convex glass so you can actually see things.

I took that as read - plane glass is useless. I wonder whether those who don't like wing mounted have only ever actually  encountered plane?

Another point I repeat to anyone who wants to hear is that wing mirrors require only eye movement to flick fully from one to the other. It's easy to keep eyes on both at the same time. Door mirrors require head movement to check both.

Bigdog

Bigdog

Robs do you have a link for the second pic, original hinge mirrors, thanks

Old80

A small point against the series 3 front door hinges....they do not allow the door to be opened fully against the wing (with check strap disconnected) for easy access to the footwell as the front edge of the door contacts the bulkhead, which is why you see a lot of series 3s with bulkhead edge damage. This may sound trivial but I have found this so useful when doing any work inside the cab without the need to fully remove the door.