News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is best

Started by Bigdog, Oct 11, 2023, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcc130

If you're thinking of series two door mirrors one of our members offers a service of modifying your standard top hinges to the military style hinges, to accommodate mirrors, on an exchange basis.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Old80 on Oct 12, 2023, 06:58 PMA small point against the series 3 front door hinges....they do not allow the door to be opened fully against the wing (with check strap disconnected)

Yes...  er, maybe... Fit S2s, w/part 347704  347705 mit spacers and they're fine. There's some pretty clumsy after-market variants too.

I feel that record going on again... only this subject is another example of the 'origianlity at all costs' dictat tilting the consensus to border on silly or worse.

It's those milly hinges at price-daft, I just don't get it. They do look rather spiffy and I'd like a set too - only you can't see what's going on around you? Originality for it's own sake is not wise.

The 'originlity at all costs' cohort will tell you wing-mounts are fine, and there's no issue; their 8YO tyres are fine too?

But then they would... of course they would, there's stamp collections that see more tarmac.

I always mean to fit a heated-set. In mixed conditions, I've spent just over an hour in mine today, and that's typical. As drivers we want more vision. I simply could not work with less than proper mirrors, and I' can't remember a time when you ever could?

Hairyvike

I have wing mounted mirrors on my S2....they're totally useless as they vibrate so much I can't see anything in them whilst driving....therefore I have to rely on the rear view mirror and a lot of neck action to see what's going on  :thud

RobS

Quote from: Bigdog on Oct 12, 2023, 06:34 PMRobs do you have a link for the second pic, original hinge mirrors, thanks
These were modified by Robin - I believe there was a post about this recently.

https://series2club.co.uk/2023_new_forum/index.php?topic=420.msg3440#msg3440

Here's a better photo of both hinge sets

The mirrors are made by Ashtree (2nd photo) - here's a link to their site https://www.avsuk.co/product-category/main-mirrors/

RobS

w3526602

Another point I repeat to anyone who wants to hear is that wing mirrors require only eye movement to flick fully from one to the other

Hi Clifford,

I believe the SVA requires the driver to be able to see his mirrors without moving his head.    ???

Vehicles MUST have TWO mirrors, one of which may be indoors ... I don't know if it must be in the middle.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I've spent a lot of time in the past looking over the various solutions. I don't favour shonk added to the exterior of Series LR's, it'll break the spell. The Exception - safety and door-mounts are a given.

1) Period correct using Mirror Brackets 320839 MRC56 395050:

'Period correct silly'. V.difficult to get. Few survive. Sold my set for a barking-mad price. Small mirrors improve on wing-mounts.
Verdict: Bordering dangerous in real-world conditions. Show-queen only.

2) Variation on 1) uses S3 - easy to get arms.
Same issue.
Verdict: Bordering dangerous in real-world conditions. Show-queen only.

3) Milly hinges with Ashtree mirrors.
I studied the Ashtree range, and was on the verge of buying a set as Rob's, it's not bad. Only they're not as large as stock coiler, have less adjustment. Don't fold so well. Using Milly hinges they do look good. The bill is high, and the result is less visibility. Same old problem. Not for real-world use.
Verdict: Better - only still restricts vision a fair bit. Nice but... Show-queen only.

4)Fit S2s, w/part 347704  347705 mit spacer
Looks near correct. Keeps S2 hinges. Doesn't hide them like some solutions. See above.
Verdict: Proper visibilty. This works and looks as good as you'll get for real-world

5) The after market solutions
Clumsy, pricey - looks 'wallet wally'.  Each to his own. For the Wolfs and swing-out wheel-carrier set. Gild the lily if you must.
Verdict: Proper visibility. Breaks the spell. No denying they'll work.

6) The save a tenner option
See below .Uses both S2 & S3 Hinges. Had I seen this earlier, might have done this myself.
Verdict: Cheap - Proper visibility. This works and has a honest proper, proper barnyard-engineering charm. Real. The sort of thing you'd see back-when 'owners' owned LRs. Nothing contrived, looks truly real, not lines of immaculate DBG 88s 'genuine'. i see he didn't paint. Why ever eh?

No more than grey-matter, his  angle-grinder and a few bolts. I like.

Quote from: Hairyvike on Oct 13, 2023, 01:49 AMI have wing mounted mirrors on my S2....they're totally useless as they vibrate so much I can't see anything in them whilst driving....therefore I have to rely on the rear view mirror and a lot of neck action to see what's going on  :thud

You have to find the correct revs to cancel out the harmonics.

No seriously I tried round wing mounted and quickly reverted back to 90/110 mirror bulkhead mounted as opposed to door mounted.

You have to be aware of them if ever you remove the door check straps, as they will collide.

Being bulkhead mounted they are a little further forward which I prefer.

Beowulf

There is a compromise to this good vision or good looks question. Have both, keep your small round wing-mounted mirrors for their aesthetic appeal, while at the same time using modern door mounted mirrors for driving. I assume it`s not illegal  ??? 

I like the look of the original wing mounted mirrors for their charming period look, but there's no denying that in modern day traffic conditions they`re as useful as low profile tyres on your LR on a muddy Greenlane, in my opinion   ;) 

I, for one, won`t be condemning those who want originality and only originality, and if that suits how you use your LR then very good luck to you  :tiphat  Personal choice is a wonderful thing and it should be applauded, whereas ridicule & name calling is cheap and deserves a very loud raspberry.

PS. Alan, maybe we should have a Raspberry Icon thingy, although maybe not, I might get some sent to me   :))
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

w3526602

Hi,

There have been times when I wanted to fold the driver's door back against the wing ... not a problem with an S1.

Thought of the day ... how about a small tripod bolted to the top of the wing, which is able to support a "spring back" mirror. ???

Thats why the s1 got the door buffer rubber on the wing.

I also like the way they lift off when they are folded flat back to the wing.

Exile

I have Series mirrors on my Series and door mirrors on my coilers.

I have grown up using wing mirrors and am used to them.
Correctly positioned they are not a problem to me - even with flat glass.

And I only reverse into one or two vehicles a week.....   :screen

Bigdog

All sorted now, going with hinge mounted ones as I have the correct hinges, thanks for the advice 👍

Old80

Bigdog....FYI when I fitted my door hinges I used pieces of leather cut and shaped from an old pair of work boots as washers between the bulkhead and hinge....works a treat 👌 I hope I am not teaching my granny to suck eggs!

g6anz

FAO Nobeardtopknot, the cut down series 3 hinges and disco mirrors are mine. The photos are from my vehicle.

Malcolm
No Worries mate

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: g6anz on Oct 14, 2023, 09:29 AMFAO Nobeardtopknot, the cut down series 3 hinges and disco mirrors are mine. The photos are from my vehicle.

Malcolm

I had forgotten where the source pix came from. You take every credit for both pix and what we see. Doesn't look out of place on an old LR, and clearly works. I repeat, the sort of thing you'd see back when. An intelligent honest solution.

The military would call that 'Use of resources'. Boy dun good.

I also take the point, we should be permitted to do as  we so choose. If I wish to drive blindfold and with no brakes I must insist on my right to do so. Be happy for me.
However... this provided I take this entitlement with the responsibilty. I will explain how I achieve this without risk/harm to others, and it must be me that pays to sort the mess and deals with the all the implications from the inevitable result.

At this very moment I'm off to try something safer. I'm to build a hang glider out of secondhand bin liners and garden canes. It will only damage me.