News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by Bigdog, Oct 23, 2023, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanglasgow

Those are G90s. You'll be fine with them. About £600 a set new so £330 sounds about right. I could fit them for you if you were closer.

Alan Drover

Are your rims tubeless? Tubeless tyres can't be used with tubes because the inside isn't finished smoothly like tubed tyres and the tube can chafe and tubeless tyres can't be used on tubed rims because there's no hump to prevent the tyre coming off the rim if deflated.
Finally, are you able to inspect them? They could have sidewall or tread damage and can you fit them yourself? My G90's bought in 2020 were £130 a corner including fitting and balancing and the fitter had some difficulty in getting them over the inside hump on my Wolf wheels. It wasn't a quick job.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Can we tell with this photo

Alan Drover

No, I can't read what's on the sidewall. However the wheels look like tubed ones. Are the wheels included in the sale?
"Ça plane pour moi!"

G90s  As I mentioned check the manufacture date code and for cracking that might fail mot.

Cuts bulges and distortion, you have to ask why they were removed.

If someone did not get on with them, some worn or damaged and a full new set was fitted as they wanted a matching set........

Best to see them in person if possible, as it can get expensive , disposing of other peoples leavings and then having to sort your own needs.

Bigdog

Hi Alan, no they are my wheels

Alan Drover

I've come across an interesting MOT failure for tyres.
"Not fitted in accordance with sidewall instructions."
That could be interpreted as fitting tubeless tyres on tubed rims or vice versa amongst other reasons.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

That would have to be some very officious and pedantic MOT tester who spots that...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

It's been done several times. I like to check the MOT's  of the vehicles featured in Wheeler Dealers (yes, sad maybe) and it has cropped up a surprising number of times. I can't remember which section of the tester's manual it comes under but it's definitely in the manual.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Old Hywel

Possibly mounted with 'Inside' out.
Some, I believe, are marked with rotation arrows.

Alan Drover

When I find it again I'll make a note of the relevant section in the manual.
Edit. I found it on line but rotational tyres fitted the wrong way round are an advisory and no mention is made about tubed and tubeless tyres. It's more likely to be with speed or load ratings but I'll check the notes when I find it again.

"Ça plane pour moi!"

N

Quote from: Alan Drover on Oct 25, 2023, 08:53 PMAre your rims tubeless? Tubeless tyres can't be used with tubes because the inside isn't finished smoothly like tubed tyres and the tube can chafe and tubeless tyres can't be used on tubed rims because there's no hump to prevent the tyre coming off the rim if deflated.

Here is the email I got from Michelin about putting tubes into 2 models of their tubeless tyres

Neither of these tyres mention being used with tubes on their sidewall. So I think best advice when unsure is to ask the manufacturer directly.

Alan Drover

Thanks N. Only suitable for normal aspect tyres though. I can't imagine a tube being squashed into a modern rubber band type tyre.
I wonder what other manufacturers think of it. Obviously fitting tubed tyres to tubeless rims is a no go . I wonder how an MOT inspector would view the latter if he discovered it. Perhaps it could come under not fitted in accordance with sidewall instructions.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Is this tyre size same as a 7.50 x 16

Theshed

Quote from: Alan Drover on Oct 26, 2023, 01:37 PMI've come across an interesting MOT failure for tyres.
"Not fitted in accordance with sidewall instructions."
That could be interpreted as fitting tubeless tyres on tubed rims or vice versa amongst other reasons.
This was a fail for my Wife's Zafira a while back. The garage removed and refitted for no charge and passed the test.
Slightly OT, but my Daughter put her Corsa in the same Garage. RHF Brake Calliper had been removed and refitted at some point, twisting the Brake hose. Again, removed, refitted, no charge !