News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Exempt from MOT

Started by Johnathan Rees, Nov 17, 2023, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

Ours are not MOTd but my nephew and I check each others vehicles on a regular basis, we are both competent mechanics and the vehicles are certainly checked more often than an MOT and with the possibility that the MOT period may change to 2 years.  The only thing we can't check is the braking efficiency.  Having seen some modern vehicles that fetch up at our local MOT centre I am comfortable with the system that Adam and I operate

Peter

diffwhine

That's great Peter when you have that skill set, but it is quite clear that many do not. Whenever I do a build for somebody or a major job, I always get somebody else to mark my homework.

I wonder if its something we could do as a club as events and meets?
And no - I am not volunteering...  :thud
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Mine was checked last May when all the suspension was replaced (which would have been a failure had it not been done).
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi,

I suggest that it would be in the interests of road safety, if there were "places" (such as the larger petrol stations) where you could drive in at night, and check your lights against a mirror, free of charge. That incudes head lamp dazzle.

I would not expect "Grannie" to run around her chariot several times, to check all the various combinations of lights. And anyway, it takes two to check the stop lamps ... and I have met combination of stop lamp faults. For instance (historically) my father's 1935 Austin 10 could be started without a key, if you were pressing the brake pedal, and the front marker lamps also came on when the brake pedal was pressed.
He never got round to sorting it out.

Wittsend

We as a club can not be "offering" vehicle inspections  :shakinghead

It would be a litigation nightmare - "we" are not insured to do such things, nor could we.

A wasps' nest best left unpoked.

The MoT exemption was made because more-&-more the modern testing equipment is just not suitable for classic vehicles. The government and the EU (at that time) decided it was easier to exempt historic vehicles, should the owners so wish.
There are no statistics to show that there is no or has been an increase in accidents for this group of vehicles. If there were you can be sure the regulations will have been changed.
The onus is on each owner to decide whether they take the vehicle for a proper MoT test or have a garage do a basic safety check.

ZebraDriver

Slight aside here, but stop lamps (and trailer lamps) can be checked on your own with the use of the camera on your mobile, set to record.

diffwhine

Now why did I never think of that?  :thud
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

It seems that very few drivers check lights before an MOT. I've found my NSF indicator isn't working and because the bulbs are LED it didn't show up on the indicator warning light. It will be investigated before I use the Land Rover which will involve removing the headlight guard. I could probably do it without but...... "Lazy people take the most pains" and removing 4 10mm nuts doesn't take long.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Checking lights on your own is easy.

At night time you can back up to your garage, a wall or hedge (in a parking space) and use your rear view mirror and/or wing mirrors to see the reflections - lights on ... lights off. It's not rocker science.

During the day if in town, waiting at lights, you can often see your car's reflection in the windows ???

It's amazing just how many one-eyed wonders there are out there  :thud

Peter Holden

Mark, I am very fortunate indeed in that my family are well steeped in engineering.  I learned to scrape white metal bearings when I was 14 and I have always until fairly recently had someonein the family that i could go to for advice.

I must emphasise though at our house it is always safety first and having seen some vehicles that get through an MOT (the current rules about not looking behind panels and shields doesnt help) I dont have much confidence in the system.  My friend who is an MOT tester sarcastically mentions minimum standards and he did once give my land rover an unofficial look over, it got the thumbs up

Peter

Apologies Alex I had made the assumption that the v5c stated historic class for taxation.

Kevswb, there are some appalling examples of modern and historic vehicles that are on the roads sporting a 'valid' mot or declaration or neither.  ANPR cant keep up and the naughty folk know that and chance it.

The mot test has always been a crude instrument open to personal opinion and interpretation of the tester.  Yes I know it should not be like that but it is.

You have the 'get that done and I'll pass it as the yard is heaving with waiting vehicles'.

The fail it on the slightest thing thinking that the owner knows no different, had a pal take a vw passat tdi to main agent, 120k on 4year old car (main vw history but not with that dealer).

I watch through the glass as they murdered it for over and hour trying to make it fail on emissions, before coming back in with an £1800 checklist and a mot fail.

What does it actually need to pass, rear shocks was the sheepish answer, the rest is just bumf for us to inspect but not replace or mend.  It did not go there again.

DW is correct that drivers of older vehicles are more fastidious and attuned and hands on.

I look a motor up and down, new or old, mine or not, prior to driving it.

Tyres up, tyres tread, oil or water on the floor, lights on etc.  Its your licence, life and lives of others at stake.

w3526602

I just don't get why so many people are so keen to get their vehicle MOT exempt. Surely having an inspection once a year is good from an insurance & safety point of view and yes I know it's only at that particular moment in time.

Hi KevSWB,

A ladyfriend of ours, in the Swansea Valley (no man in her life), bought a Triumph Herald, from a local garage. It came with a new MOT.

OK, this was many years ago.

She took it to the same garage, a year later, to renew the MOT ... as you do.

It failed, due the body not being bolted to the chassis.

I have heard of dealers testing a vehicle, and then keeping for a month before selling it. The idea is that any faults found thereafter must have developed during that month, so no comeback on the testing garage.

Could be a can of worms there 602, its not just trade that can play tricks.

Speaking of which going back it used to be possible to present a vehicle with non expired mot and have a fresh one applied resulting in 13months test, or have I imagined that.

Just noticed this, I wonder why a series 3 that would now be exempt in its own right is on a s2 vin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196081869914?hash=item2da763e45a%3Ag%3ATEkAAOSwjERlP5i5&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwImMZmzty8U77WU488EhjeLvXbV5vXeOCp%2F5%2F3fYzETDMRoWPDvo49CXgQUc1KtlisNCrYTxlJyzqJ8MbQfcknTjAi775MjIkKtxFR9c0OYWyOh3F3Zi0F5anaR1GsmCv5ggcxbNvfKvPg992Pf2d9HcoykHKV7FJiqJjtkF9V%2FDlGP5nCVpUOfOgL8DUGkNG%2FwZwBv7h5La%2FY0LADbqeElzVg5x71jpO7LTtxoz63IliXjzjMrP3%2BvIK7Wb%2BnzShw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6aGw8r9Yg&LH_Auction=1

1   Type: Land Rover
41   Model: Land Rover, Series II
Body type: Basic
Wheel base: 88in (Short Wheel Base, SWB)
Engine: Petrol
Destination: Right-hand drive (RHD), home market
8   Model year: 1958
01510   Serial number

Peter Holden

Can anyone see any S2 cnotent on it apart from teh V5 and the number plate?  I have a 1958 triggers broom but I can still find plenty of S2 bits on it

I notice that the registration is non=transferrable which normally indicates an age related number in which case only the details on the V5 appear to be S2.  The chassis number is for a petrol (I know so is mine and it has a S3 engine and gearbox in it)

Looking at the MOT history this reg has been on a blue land rover since 2013, there would be a good reason for a Series 3 getting a Series 2 identity at this time as you would still be paying tax on a S3 then and it would still need an MOT

Peter